Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea strongly condemned on Sunday the militant attack that took place Friday in the Sinai Peninsula, resulting in the death of 12 Egyptian soldiers.
Geagea said that “the attack comes within the context of the desperate and ongoing attempts to undermine the Egyptian role in the region."
In this regard, the LF chief offered his condolences to Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and the Egyptian people, expressing confidence in al-Sisi’s ability to keep the situation under control and maintain stability.
Islamist militants killed 12 members of Egypt's military in North Sinai province and wounded six more in an attack on a checkpoint on Friday, the military said, adding that it killed 15 militants in return.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the incident, which took place 40 km (25 miles) from the town of Bir al-Abd, making it the first major attack in the central Sinai area, which had so far escaped the militant Islamists' campaign.
It was carried out using assault rifles and some heavier weapons, medical and security sources said. The wounded were taken to hospital in al-Arish.