Thank you!

Close
we look forward to providing you up to date news and our unique entertainment.
Thursday May. 05
Sign in
Register
LIVE TV
Nharkom Said
04:00
Nharkom Said
Menu
Dec 05 2012
 shares
 shares

Gunfire exchange in Tripoli, Mufti Shaar faces death threats

episodes

The exchange of gunfire is ongoing between Tripoli’s Jabal Mohsen and Bab el-Tebbaneh at a time when the Lebanese Armed Forces are negotiating with both sides and responding to sources of fire, mainly that of snipers.   

The clashes have already killed 6 people and injured more than 60. Citizen Mehdi Khoder was killed in Bab el-Tebbaneh’s Abou Araby St.
advertisement


Meanwhile, a meeting was held at the residence of MP Mohammad Kabbara in Tripoli with the participation of Tripoli's’ MPs and security officials who discussed means to calm the situation in the city. 

Following the meeting, MP Kabbara held a press conference and called for the stop of all armed presence in the city and reiterated his request for the government to pay its compensations to citizens that have suffered as a result of the violence in the area.

Kabbara also urged security apparatuses to contain the situation and said that all channels must be reopened with all political factions to reach a solution to the problem.   

A cautious calm had prevailed on Wednesday morning in Tripoli’s areas of Bab el-Tebbaneh, Jabal Mohsen, el-Kobba, al-Mankoubin, al-Riva and al-Mallouleh with sporadic sniping being an exception to the already tense situation. The calm followed a violent night with clashes lasting till 4 a.m. and which included the use of RPGs that were heard in areas which are relatively far from the scene of the clashes.       

Most of Tripoli’s schools and universities closed their doors today and the city’s streets witness little to no movement. In a related story, Mufti of Tripoli and the North Sheikh Malek al-Shaar was advised to remain outside Lebanon due to assassination threats.

The Mufti is currently in Vienna where he participated in the inauguration of the King Abdullah Center for Interfaith Dialogue.

As for the Lebanese nationals who died in Talkalkh, the Lebanese Foreign Affairs Minister said that he had been officially notified by the Syrian Ambassador to Lebanon, Ali Abdul Karim Ali that Damascus will be delivering the bodies of the Lebanese killed in Talkalakh over 3 batches starting Saturday the 8th of December.


For the full report, please click on the video above.


Recommended
View More
Newsletter
Sign up to receive a weekly update on top stories, breaking news and stories recommended especially for you.
Send us a photo or video
Upload your pictures or videos here
Find our App:
Designed by Code And Theory
Built by Softimpact