Aid convoy enters besieged Syrian town of Douma, first time since October: ICRC

Breaking Headlines
03-05-2017 | 05:11
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Aid convoy enters besieged Syrian town of Douma, first time since October: ICRC
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
Aid convoy enters besieged Syrian town of Douma, first time since October: ICRC

An aid convoy of food and medical supplies has reached the besieged Syrian town of Douma for the first time since October, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Tuesday.

 

Along with the United Nations and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, the ICRC went into Douma with 51 trucks loaded with aid for 35,000 people, it said on Twitter.

 

A UN official in Syria said the convoy had entered late at night, carrying food rations, health supplies and other emergency items, and the mission was still ongoing.

 

The UN had said in March that fighting around Syria's capital, Damascus, cut 300,000 people off from aid in the rebel-held suburbs of eastern Ghouta, under siege by government forces since 2013.

 

Food stocks are dwindling and informal supply routes were cut in the pocket of farms and towns near Damascus. Douma has not received any UN aid since October and supplies have not entered Kafr Batna since last June, the UN has said.

 

UN Syria humanitarian adviser Jan Egeland, who had called on the warring sides to allow aid in, said last month it was "very, very urgent" to get to eastern Ghouta where 400,000 people live.

 
 
 
REUTERS

Breaking Headlines

Syria

Douma

LBCI Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More