News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
21
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
22
o
North
27
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Spotlight
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
21
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
22
o
North
27
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Egypt court cuts sentences against Islamist women
World News
07-12-2013 | 05:00
High views
Share
Share
5
min
Egypt court cuts sentences against Islamist women
An Egyptian appeals court reduced Saturday harsh prison sentences given to 14 young Islamist women for protesting in support of the country's ousted president, reducing them to one-year suspended sentences, a defense lawyer said.
The lawyer, al-Shimaa Saad, says the court ruling means the women will soon be released following more than a month in custody.
The 14 women were originally sentenced to 11 years in prison after being convicted on charges related to an Oct. 31 protest in support of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
The initial sentences handed down late last month caused an international and domestic outcry.
Human Rights Watch called the sentences "blatantly political" and said the court had violated the right to free trial, by failing to allow witnesses to testify in the women's defense, and providing little evidence for the charges they faced.
Saad says the court also reduced the sentences of seven teenage defendants who were originally given prison terms until they turned 18. The appeals court gave the teenage girls three months probation.
"Thank God the girls will be going home. That is what we cared about," said Saad. "But the ruling today is still a conviction, a sentence they don't deserve."
The 14 women appeared in the cage in white headscarves and shirts, many of them holding roses an apparent symbol of peacefulness. The minors sat on the benches among the lawyers. The court session was tense, with arguments breaking out between the lawyers and security forces in the room before the opening.
The families were not allowed to attend the session, while scuffles broke out outside the room between supporters and opponents of Morsi.
Saad said the lawyers will still appeal the decision before Egypt's highest appeal court, the court of Cassation, asking that the convictions be overturned completely.
The women and girls, who belonged to a newly established group called the "7 am Movement", held a protest on Oct. 31 in support of Morsi in the coastal city of Alexandria. Police dispersed the protest and arrested the women and girls as well as one man, Human Rights Watch said. The one man was released.
Six other men accused in the case were sentenced in absentia to 15 years.
"Putting aside the blatantly political nature of this prosecution, the authorities failed to meet even the most basic standards of evidence to prove these women and girls engaged in violence or thuggery," said Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch Sarah Leah Whitson in a statement issued Saturday.
"The lack of any evidence tying these women and girls to a crime only strengthens the impression that this was a sham prosecution," she said.
The speedy sentences, nearly a month after they were detained, are part of a widening crackdown on Morsi supporters. The government says tough measures against street protests are necessary, as the three years of turmoil that followed Egypt's 2011 uprising have done crippling damage to the economy. It accuses Morsi supporters of seeking to destabilize the country.
Thousands of members of the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist allies have been arrested since Morsi was toppled in a July 3 coup that followed demonstrations by millions calling on him to leave office. Hundreds more of his supporters have been killed in violent break-up of protests.
The crackdown has recently widened to include other non-Islamist critics of the current authorities. A new protest law was passed last month that tightly restricts public gatherings and increases penalties for violators, raising criticism of the authorities' lack of tolerance for dissent. The 14 women were convicted under pre-existing laws.
"This prosecution fits into Egypt's new normal - clamping down on protests, and criminalizing dissent," Whitson said.
At least three prominent non-Islamist activists have been referred to trial in accordance with the new law on charges of taking part in an illegal protest and assaulting policemen. Their trial begins Sunday.
AP
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
World News
2026-03-11
Trump tells Axios war in Iran will end soon, 'practically nothing left' to target
World News
2026-03-11
Trump tells Axios war in Iran will end soon, 'practically nothing left' to target
0
Lebanon News
2026-03-09
President Aoun seeks international support for ceasefire, army deployment, and Israel talks
Lebanon News
2026-03-09
President Aoun seeks international support for ceasefire, army deployment, and Israel talks
0
World News
2026-05-02
Spain calls Israel's detention of citizen from Gaza flotilla 'illegal'
World News
2026-05-02
Spain calls Israel's detention of citizen from Gaza flotilla 'illegal'
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-08
Military source to LBCI: Abducted soldier released, army pursuing suspects in Baalbek
Lebanon News
2026-08-08
Military source to LBCI: Abducted soldier released, army pursuing suspects in Baalbek
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
05:48
Beirut Airport urges travelers to arrive at least three hours before flights
Lebanon News
05:48
Beirut Airport urges travelers to arrive at least three hours before flights
2
News Bulletin Reports
12:58
President Aoun’s Rome visit: Italy offers readiness to help as post-UNIFIL plans remain unclear
News Bulletin Reports
12:58
President Aoun’s Rome visit: Italy offers readiness to help as post-UNIFIL plans remain unclear
3
Middle East News
09:50
Israel says US criticism of strike on Syria 'full of inaccuracies'
Middle East News
09:50
Israel says US criticism of strike on Syria 'full of inaccuracies'
4
World News
08:42
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
World News
08:42
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
5
Lebanon News
05:17
President Aoun returns to Beirut after Vatican and Italy visit
Lebanon News
05:17
President Aoun returns to Beirut after Vatican and Italy visit
6
Middle East News
05:24
Iran urges Qatar to transfer detained pilots to hospital on land
Middle East News
05:24
Iran urges Qatar to transfer detained pilots to hospital on land
7
Lebanon News
07:46
PM Salam meets Indian deputy FM to discuss bilateral ties
Lebanon News
07:46
PM Salam meets Indian deputy FM to discuss bilateral ties
8
Middle East News
09:48
Syria condemns Israeli strike as 'flagrant violation of sovereignty'
Middle East News
09:48
Syria condemns Israeli strike as 'flagrant violation of sovereignty'
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More