NATO chief calls on France to stick to Afghan plan

Breaking Headlines
27-01-2012 | 06:49
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
NATO chief calls on France to stick to Afghan plan
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
NATO chief calls on France to stick to Afghan plan
The head of NATO called on France on Thursday to continue its training operations in Afghanistan until a planned withdrawal, despite the killing of four French soldiers by a rogue Afghan soldier.    

President Nicolas Sarkozy last week suspended all French ground operations in Afghanistan after the incident, which came amid NATO's efforts to expand the Afghan security forces so they can take over when Western combat forces leave in 2014.    

"As regards the French contribution to our operation in Afghanistan, let me stress that we all agreed at the Lisbon summit to a process of transition of security responsibility to Afghan forces and an associated timeline," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told a news conference at NATO headquarters.    

"We outlined a roadmap and it's important to the success of our operations that we maintain a commitment to this agreed plan," he said referring to a decision taken at NATO's last summit, which took place in Lisbon in 2010.    
The French government said on Tuesday it would wait until Afghan President Hamid Karzai visited Paris on Friday to sign a cooperation treaty before deciding whether to speed up the withdrawal of French troops from Afghanistan.   

Reuters

Breaking Headlines

chief

calls

France

stick

Afghan

LBCI Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More