News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
21
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
22
o
North
27
o
South
26
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Nightly News Bulletin
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
21
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
22
o
North
27
o
South
26
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Renewed fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh threatens US-backed truce
Middle East
26-10-2020 | 06:39
High views
Share
Share
3
min
Renewed fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh threatens US-backed truce
Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other on Monday of violating a new U.S.-brokered ceasefire in fighting over the mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, casting doubt over the prospects of the latest international push to end a month of clashes.
Azeri President Ilham Aliyev said in a televised address that he wanted to resolve the conflict "by political and military means" and reiterated a demand that ethnic Armenian forces must agree to leave the region for fighting to stop.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan wrote earlier on his Facebook page that the Armenian side "continued to adhere to the ceasefire."
The latest fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh, a mountainous part of Azerbaijan populated and controlled by ethnic Armenians, erupted on Sept. 27 and is the worst in the South Caucasus since the 1990s. Hundreds have been killed and two Russian-brokered ceasefires have failed to hold.
World powers want to prevent a wider war that might draw in Turkey, which has voiced strong support for Azerbaijan, and Russia, which has a defense pact with Armenia. The conflict has also strained relations between Ankara and its NATO allies.
A third ceasefire since Oct. 10 was agreed on Sunday after separate talks in Washington between U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan. nL1N2HG0R0
Within minutes of its coming into force at 8 a.m. local time (0400 GMT), Azerbaijan's defense ministry said in a statement that Armenian forces had shelled villages in the Terter and Lachin regions, located at opposite ends of the conflict zone.
Authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh denied this: the defense ministry said Azeri forces fired missiles on Armenian positions on the northeastern side on the line of contact and the foreign ministry said Azeri warplanes had violated the ceasefire.
Armenia's defense ministry said in a statement that the Azeri side violated the truce at around 9.10 a.m. local time.
Pompeo has since left Washington, landing on Monday in India on the first leg of a five-day Asian trip. nL4N2HH17L
Armenians regard Nagorno-Karabakh as part of their historic homeland; Azeris consider it illegally occupied land that must be returned to their control. About 30,000 people were killed in a 1991-94 war over the enclave.
Aliyev, in his address, criticized the OSCE Minsk Group that was formed to mediate the conflict. The group, led by France, Russia and the United States, participated in Sunday's talks and its co-chairs have agreed to meet again with the two foreign ministers in Geneva on Oct. 29.
"For almost 30 years, the Minsk Group co-chairs have tried to reconcile Azerbaijan with the process of freezing the conflict, but we have created a new reality," Aliyev said. "We are fed up with these negotiations. How long can you negotiate?"
REUTERS
Breaking Headlines
US
Truce
Nagorno Karabakh
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Middle East News
2026-05-04
EU chief calls Iran's strikes on UAE 'violation' of international law
Middle East News
2026-05-04
EU chief calls Iran's strikes on UAE 'violation' of international law
0
Middle East News
2026-02-28
Second person injured in Israel after new Iran missile salvo: Emergency services
Middle East News
2026-02-28
Second person injured in Israel after new Iran missile salvo: Emergency services
0
Lebanon News
2026-04-23
Lebanon FM says restoring full sovereignty remains the country's top national priority
Lebanon News
2026-04-23
Lebanon FM says restoring full sovereignty remains the country's top national priority
0
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
2
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
3
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
4
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
5
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
6
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
7
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
8
Middle East News
08:31
Yemen's Houthis say targeted Saudi military vessel in Red Sea
Middle East News
08:31
Yemen's Houthis say targeted Saudi military vessel in Red Sea
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More