News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
24
o
Keserwan
28
o
Metn
28
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
29
o
South
28
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Morning Talk
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
24
o
Keserwan
28
o
Metn
28
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
29
o
South
28
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Al-Jazeera not to air video of French attacks
Breaking Headlines
27-03-2012 | 09:30
High views
Share
Share
4
min
Al-Jazeera not to air video of French attacks
Al-Jazeera decided Tuesday not to air a video that appears to show the attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school in southwestern France from the killer's point of view, including the cries of his victims.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy, other French officials and family members of the victims had asked that it not be broadcast.
The footage was contained on a USB key sent with a letter to the Paris office of the Qatar-based television company, Zied Tarrouche, the station's Paris bureau chief, said Tuesday on the French TV station BFM. The letter, written in poor French with spelling and grammar errors, claimed the shootings were carried out in the name of al-Qaida.
Later Tuesday, a brief statement posted on the station's website said: "Al-Jazeera will not air video of French shootings." It said they would have more details soon.
Police traced the attacks to Mohamed Merah, a 23-year-old Frenchman, who was killed last week after a more than 30-hour standoff with police at his apartment building. Merah had claimed to police that he had links to al-Qaida, traveled to Afghanistan and received weapons training in the militant-riddled Pakistani tribal region of Waziristan. But authorities have questioned some of Merah's claims.
Prosecutors have said that Merah filmed all of his attacks, which began March 11 with the murder of a French soldier. Before the spree ended, two more soldiers and three Jewish children and a rabbi were killed.
Tarrouche said the images appear to have been taken from the point of view of the killer, perhaps from a camera hung around his neck. He said they were a bit shaky but of a high technical quality.
The video had clearly been manipulated after the fact, according to Tarrouche, with religious songs and recitations of Quranic verses laid over the footage.
"You can hear gunshots at the moment of the killings. You can hear the voice of this person who has committed these assassinations. You can hear also the cries of the victims, and the voices were distorted," Tarrouche said.
In an address to police officers and judges earlier Tuesday, Sarkozy had asked that the images not be broadcast.
"I ask the managers of all television stations that might have these images not to broadcast them in any circumstances, out of respect for the victims out of respect for the Republic," Sarkozy said.
There was no indication that other stations have the images.
Tarrouche said the Paris prosecutor, whose office is leading the investigation, had also called to explain the consequences of disseminating the images. But Tarrouche said the prosecutor said he would not prohibit the channel from "doing its work as journalists."
"We are not a sensationalist channel. We're not looking to broadcast images without weighing the risks and the consequences. That's why the management will decide today after meeting at headquarters in Qatar," Tarrouche said.
The decision not to broadcast the images came a few hours later.
Tarrouche said investigators spent Monday interviewing employees at the Paris bureau about the video. It was not immediately clear when the footage was received or who had sent it.
AP
Breaking Headlines
video
French
attacks
Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Recommended For You
d-none hideMe
0
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Middle East News
2026-08-11
Sources to Reuters: Missile attack targets Iranian Kurdish opposition camp in Iraq
Middle East News
2026-08-11
Sources to Reuters: Missile attack targets Iranian Kurdish opposition camp in Iraq
0
Lebanon News
2026-04-18
Naim Qassem: Hezbollah remains open to maximum cooperation with state authorities
Lebanon News
2026-04-18
Naim Qassem: Hezbollah remains open to maximum cooperation with state authorities
0
Israel-Gaza War Updates
2026-08-16
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
Israel-Gaza War Updates
2026-08-16
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
0
World News
2026-01-29
EU ministers approve new Iran sanctions after Tehran's crackdown on protests: EU diplomats
World News
2026-01-29
EU ministers approve new Iran sanctions after Tehran's crackdown on protests: EU diplomats
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
2
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
3
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
4
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
5
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
6
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
7
Lebanon Economy
03:28
Fuel prices slightly change across Lebanon
Lebanon Economy
03:28
Fuel prices slightly change across Lebanon
8
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More