Regime troops regain control over most of Damascus neighborhoods

Breaking Headlines
23-07-2012 | 11:07
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Regime troops regain control over most of Damascus neighborhoods
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
5min
Regime troops regain control over most of Damascus neighborhoods

The Syrian army regained control over most of Damascus neighborhoods after the week-long clashes that took place between regime troops and opposition fighters, AFP quoted opposition Syrian activists and a source close to the Syrian authorities as saying.  

Meanwhile, the regime troops launched arrest campaigns on Monday in some of Damascus neighborhoods while fierce clashes in Aleppo continued between regime troops and opposition fighters, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and activists.  

The Observatory reported that the regime troops carried out “field executions” against 23 people in the Damascus neighborhoods of al-Mezzeh and Barzeh. The regime troops entered these two neighborhoods on Sunday after three days of brutal fights.


International positions


U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Monday he was concerned about the risk of Syria using chemical weapons after Damascus warned it could deploy its arsenal of them if it felt threatened by foreign intervention.
   
Syria acknowledged for the first time on Monday that it had chemical and biological weapons, saying they would not be used against rebels but could be used against forces from outside the country.

"It would be reprehensible if anyone in Syria would use weapons of mass destruction," Ban told reporters during a visit to Serbia.

Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier said that Syria's crisis must be resolved through negotiations, not force of arms, and warned that if President Bashar al-Assad's government is toppled a civil war could continue with roles reversed.        

After talks with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti, Putin said last week's vote to extend an observer mission showed that compromise can be found at the United Nations but gave no sign Russia will drop its opposition to sanctions or intervention.    

In turn, Monti said on Monday that he encouraged Russia to work with the West to end the violence in Syria and seek new ways to resolve the crisis.   
 
Monti said Italy understands Russia's concern over any U.N. Security Council resolution that could allow for military intervention but that the situation could get out of control if no resolution is adopted.    

Meanwhile, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has told Iraq's border officials to allow Syrian refugees into the county, a senior border commander said   

"The order came 30 minutes ago," General Issam Yassim told Reuters at Iraq's southern Al-Waleed border crossing with Syria, 560 km west of Baghdad.      

He said it applied to all Iraqi border crossings with Syria.    

Iraq earlier rejected Arab League calls for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down, saying it was for the Syrian people alone to decide his fate, a government spokesman said.           

"The Iraqi delegation put forward their reservation. It is not usual for the ministerial council to ask someone to leave. This is the sole responsibility of the Syrian people and others should not interfere," government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said.      

He was referring to a meeting of Arab League foreign ministers in Doha which early on Monday offered Assad a "safe exit" if he stepped down swiftly.  

Earlier today, the Arab League's secretary general has offered Syrian President Bashar Assad a "safe exit" for him and his family if he steps down.            

Nabil Elaraby gave no further details on his proposal at an Arab League foreign ministers' meeting in Doha, Qatar, early Monday morning.                        

The League also promised $100 million for Syrian refugees in neighboring countries.     


Also on Monday, the European Union foreign chief said the escalating bloodshed in Syria was sparking concerns that the conflict may spill over into neighboring countries.                     

EU foreign ministers are scheduled to endorse a plan Monday that would enforce the existing arms embargo by asking the member nations to board ships and aircraft carrying suspicious cargo to the war-torn nation. The inspections will only take place on the territory or in the territorial waters of EU states.          
   
Separately, Britain's Foreign Minister William Hague said "it is unacceptable for Syria to announce that it is using chemical weapons under any circumstance".

REUTERS/AP

Breaking Headlines

troops

regain

control

Damascus

neighborhoods

LBCI Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More