Abboud to LBCI: Yesterday's kidnapping incident destroyed Lebanon's tourism sector

Lebanon News
10-08-2013 | 04:29
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Abboud to LBCI: Yesterday's kidnapping incident destroyed Lebanon's tourism sector
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
Abboud to LBCI: Yesterday's kidnapping incident destroyed Lebanon's tourism sector
 
Caretaker Tourism Minister Fady Abboud said on Saturday the kidnapping incident of the 2 Turkish airlines' crew members "destroyed the Lebanese touristic sector", adding that it also has negative effects on the economic and political sectors.                     

Minister Abboud told LBCI during Nharkom Said that officials are putting forth their utmost efforts to know the circumstances of the kidnapping of the Turkish pilot and co-pilot, praising the stance of caretaker Interior Minister Marwan Charbel and the efforts exerted by General Security officials.                 

Minister Abboud added that a solution will not be reached via counter kidnappings and mentioned that he understands the suffering of the relatives of the Lebanese hostages in Syria's Aazaz.                       

On Friday the 9th of August at 3 am, gunmen intercepted a Turkish Airlines bus at Cocodi Bridge in Beirut and kidnapped two crew members, a pilot and a co-pilot, both are Turkish nationals. The bus carrying the crew members was heading from Beirut international airport toward a hotel in Ain El-Mrayseh.                              

While well-informed sources linked the abduction to the case of the Lebanese hostages held in Aazaz, the relatives of the Aazaz hostages denied being involved in the operation.             

The incident triggered a chain of reactions mainly from the Turkish side, the most prominent among them was the call launched by the Turkish foreign ministry on its nationals to leave Lebanon, warning its citizens not to travel to Lebanon except in case of necessity.    

For his part, the Turkish ambassador to Lebanon Inan Ozyildiz confirmed that he is following up on the case, calling on the Lebanese authorities to release the Turkish abductees.                               

In turn, caretaker Interior Minister Marwan Charbel stressed that the security apparatuses have launched investigations in order to pursue the kidnappers and to reveal the circumstances behind the incident.              

Eleven Lebanese pilgrims were kidnapped on their way back from Iran by insurgents hoping to use them for a prisoner swap on the 22nd of May. Only two have so far been released.              

Their families have vowed to continue their movements until all their loved ones have returned home "safe and sound".                               

They accuse Ankara of sponsoring the kidnapping and the Lebanese government of inaptness in this regard.   

Lebanon News

LBCI:

Yesterday's

kidnapping

incident

destroyed

Lebanon's

tourism

sector

LBCI Next
Lebanon’s State Security hails troops’ efforts in new year security plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More