MP Alain Aoun suspends participation in electoral sub-committee meetings

Lebanon News
10-01-2013 | 08:40
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
MP Alain Aoun suspends participation in electoral sub-committee meetings
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
MP Alain Aoun suspends participation in electoral sub-committee meetings

Following the meeting of the parliamentary sub-committee tasked with discussing the electoral law on Thursday, MP Robert Ghanem said that the committee resumed its work on Thursday, looking into draft laws listed on its agenda.       

In turn, MP Alain Aoun suspended his participation in the committee’s meetings.       

In a similar context, MP Georges Adwan denied reports stipulating that a verbal bout erupted between him and MPs Ahmad Fatfat and Akram Chehayeb during the committee’s meeting. “We voiced our honest support for the Orthodox Gathering’s proposed law while MP Fatfat objected it; however, differences are a right and no debate took place in this regard.”     

In turn, MP Ahmad Fatfat pointed out that no debate took place during the committee’s meeting, adding “there was only a simple difference in points of view.”

It is worth noting that MP Nabil De Freige had previously suggested the addition of four parliamentary seats (2 for the Syriacs or minorities, 1 for the Sunnites and 1 for the Shiites). MP Sami Gemayel had also suggested the addition of 2 seats (1 for the Syriacs and one for the Druze).

National Struggle Front MP Akram Chehayeb had said that the electoral law proposed by the Orthodox Gathering was “born dead” and will only lead to a "sectarian parliament." 

For his part, Future bloc MP Ahmad Fatfat had stated that if an electoral law were to be referred to parliament, it must first be approved by all parties , stressing that the Orthodox Gathering electoral proposal does not allow partnership.

As for MP Ali Fayad, he said that President Michel Slemain’s rejection of the Orthodox Gathering proposal is “the President’s concern”.

Lebanon News

Alain

suspends

participation

electoral

sub-committee

meetings

LBCI Next
Lebanon’s State Security hails troops’ efforts in new year security plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More