News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
23
o
Keserwan
28
o
Metn
28
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
29
o
South
29
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Shams Al Sabah
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
23
o
Keserwan
28
o
Metn
28
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
29
o
South
29
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Two arrested after four killed in suspected Islamist attack in Vienna
Middle East
03-11-2020 | 06:56
High views
Share
Share
Two arrested after four killed in suspected Islamist attack in Vienna
Watch now
More details about online video viewing packages
5
min
Two arrested after four killed in suspected Islamist attack in Vienna
Two people were arrested near Vienna on Tuesday, according to the APA news agency, as police hunted accomplices of a gunman or gunmen who killed four people in what the government called an Islamist terrorist attack in the Austrian capital.
In an early morning televised news conference, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer repeated calls for the public to stay off the streets.
Nehammer said police had shot dead one attacker on Monday night, a man wearing an explosives belt that turned out to be fake. Authorities identified him as an Islamic State sympathizer. Authorities and witnesses were not immediately able to rule out the possibility there had been other gunmen.
Police confirmed on Tuesday that three civilians - two men and a woman - had been killed, and at least 15 others wounded, including a police officer. The national broadcaster ORF later said a fourth civilian, a woman, had died.
APA quoted police as saying two arrests had been made in the nearby town of St Poelten. The Kurier news site reported that heavily armed police had searched two properties.
Witnesses had described crowds being fired on in bars with automatic rifles on Monday night, as many people took advantage of a last evening out before the start of a nationwide coronavirus curfew.
Six locations were attacked in central Vienna, starting outside the main synagogue, which was closed.
'ATTACK ON OUR VALUES'
A witness, Vienna rabbi Schlomo Hofmeister, said he could not be certain whether there was more than one shooter.
"I saw one person. Later, I saw videos and I'm not sure it was the same one. I find it very difficult to identify someone in a fraction of a second," Hofmeister told Reuters television.
"At that moment I also did not pay attention to what he looks like. I was trying to understand what's happening. I then moved away from the window and called the police."
Nehammer, the interior minister, said: "We experienced an attack yesterday evening by at least one Islamist terrorist, a situation that we have not had to live through in Austria for decades."
Seven of the injured were in a life-threatening condition, the APA news agency said.
A police spokesman said at least 1,000 officers were involved in the search.
The government announced three days of national mourning, and a minute's silence at noon. (1100 GMT)
The editor of Vienna's Falter newspaper, Florian Klenk, tweeted that the dead assailant was a 20-year-old born in Austria to ethnic Albanian parents from North Macedonia, and known to domestic intelligence agencies as one of 90 Austrian Islamists who aimed to travel to Syria. Klenk did not give a source for his information.
Nehammer said video material had been seized from the home of the known assailant, and police were investigating his potential connections.
APA reported that multiple homes had been searched and arrests made, citing the Interior Ministry. A Ministry spokesman was not immediately available to comment.
Vienna's police chief declined to provide further details on the known attacker's identity, saying it might endanger the investigation.
SHELTERING IN BARS
Police sealed off much of the historic center of the city overnight, urging the public to shelter where they were. Many sought refuge in bars and hotels, while public transport in the area was shut down.
Oskar Deutsch, head of Vienna's Jewish community, which has offices adjoining the synagogue on a narrow cobbled street dotted with bars, tweeted that it was not clear whether the synagogue or offices had been a target.
Videos circulated on social media of a gunman running down a cobbled street shooting and shouting. One showed a man gunning down a person outside what appeared to be a bar on the street where the synagogue is located.
Vienna had been spared the kind of deadly militant attacks that have struck Paris, London, Berlin and Brussels, among others, in recent years.
Condolences poured in from leaders around the world. U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted that "our prayers are with the people of Vienna after yet another vile act of terrorism in Europe".
"These evil attacks against innocent people must stop. The U.S. stands with Austria, France, and all of Europe in the fight against terrorists, including radical Islamic terrorists."
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden condemned what he called a "horrific terrorist attack", adding: "We must all stand united against hate and violence."
REUTERS
To watch the full report, please click on the video above.
Breaking Headlines
News Bulletin Reports
Attack
Vienna
Terrorism
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-03-06
Hezbollah claims responsibility for strikes on Israeli army
Lebanon News
2026-03-06
Hezbollah claims responsibility for strikes on Israeli army
0
World News
2026-04-02
UK foreign minister stresses 'urgent need' to reopen Hormuz strait
World News
2026-04-02
UK foreign minister stresses 'urgent need' to reopen Hormuz strait
0
Lebanon News
2026-02-18
Iranian Ambassador from Maaysrah: We will stand by the Lebanese people, with no room for division between us
Lebanon News
2026-02-18
Iranian Ambassador from Maaysrah: We will stand by the Lebanese people, with no room for division between us
0
Israel-Gaza War Updates
2026-05-26
Gaza health officials say five killed in Israeli airstrike
Israel-Gaza War Updates
2026-05-26
Gaza health officials say five killed in Israeli airstrike
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
2
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
3
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
4
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
5
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
6
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
7
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
8
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More