Zawahri condemns crackdown on Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood

World News
13-09-2013 | 06:29
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Zawahri condemns crackdown on Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
Zawahri condemns crackdown on Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood
 
Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri has described the army-installed government's crackdown against the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt as a "brutal crime" and urged Egyptians to resist what he called a campaign against Islam in their country.            

Security forces have killed hundreds of Brotherhood supporters and arrested thousands, including most of it leaders, since the army toppled Islamist President Mohamed Morsi on July 3 following mass protests against his rule.              

Many were killed when the security forces, who regard the Brotherhood as terrorists, attacked its supporters on Aug. 14 in a raid on pro-Morsi protest camps in Cairo.             

In an audio speech released a day after the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 strikes on the United States, former doctor Zawahri, condemned the breakup of the camps and the arrest of Islamists.                 

Zawahri also said the United States was conspiring in Egypt and called on Egyptians to fight the "oppression".        

Militant attacks have surged since Morsi's overthrow. Most of the violence is limited to Sinai, a relatively lawless region adjoining Israel and the Gaza Strip. Attacks on security forces there take place almost daily and about 50 personnel have been killed since Morsi was deposed.          
Concerns are growing that the bloodshed will spread to Cairo, especially since a Sinai-based militant group claimed responsibility for a failed suicide bombing against the interior minister last week.           

Gunmen fired on an army checkpoint in the southern city of Assiut on Friday, wounding two soldiers, state-run Al-Ahram newspaper said.                

Aside from squeezing the Brotherhood, security forces have been going after militants in the Sinai. The army, backed by helicopter gunships, launched a new operation against militants in the region on Friday, security sources said.                 

On Thursday, Egypt extended a state of emergency by two months because of the security situation.           

The government originally announced a one-month state of emergency on Aug. 14 and Thursday's announcement extended the order, which covers the whole country, to mid-November.             


REUTERS  
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More