China blast kills 31 people, as police seals off train station after detecting suspected explosives

World News
22-05-2014 | 01:06
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
China blast kills 31 people, as police seals off train station after detecting suspected explosives
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
China blast kills 31 people, as police seals off train station after detecting suspected explosives
Chinese police sealed off a train station on Thursday in the northwestern city of Lanzhou after detecting suspected explosives, state media said.
  
Chinese authorities discovered the explosives around 4 p.m, the state-run China National Radio said on its website.

In a similar event, state broadcaster China Central Television reported earlier that a blast in the capital of China's western region of Xinjiang killed 31 people, with around 90 others injured.

The blast took place when two vehicles rammed into a crowd at a morning market in Urumqi. Explosives were hurled from the vehicles and one of the vehicles exploded.

China's domestic security chief has labeled the incident an act of violent terrorism. China has blamed a string of violent attacks in recent months on militant separatists from Xinjiang.

This comes as
a Chinese flight from Shanghai to the western city Urumqi was forced to land in Nanjing due to "national security reasons", an airline employee said.

The employee of Shanghai-based Juneyao Airlines Co. Ltd., reached by phone, declined to give his name and said he could not provide any further information.

International positions:

The White House on Thursday said the United States condemned what it called a "horrific terrorist attack" in Urumqi, China that killed 31 people and injured 90 others, the deadliest act of violence in years in China's troubled Xinjiang region.

"This is a despicable and outrageous act of violence against innocent civilians, and the United States resolutely opposes all forms of terrorism," White House spokesman Jay Carney said in a statement.
 

REUTERS

Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More