News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
20
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
24
o
North
28
o
South
26
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Spotlight
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
20
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
24
o
North
28
o
South
26
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Ukraine truce fades as sides refuse to withdraw big guns
World News
17-02-2015 | 03:07
High views
Share
Share
5
min
Ukraine truce fades as sides refuse to withdraw big guns
Government forces and pro-Russian separatists said they would not carry out an agreement to pull back heavy guns in east Ukraine on Tuesday, pushing a shaky peace deal closer to collapse.
Fighting has eased in many areas since a ceasefire came into force on Sunday, but the rebels have refused to halt attacks on a town where Ukrainian forces are encircled and Kiev says it will not pull back its big guns until the truce holds.
Monitors from the OSCE security group were expected to try to reach the besieged town, Debaltseve, after Germany said it had agreed steps with the leaders of Russia and Ukraine to ensure the observers had "free access" in the east.
But a call by Berlin for the withdrawal of heavy weaponry to start seemed to have fallen on deaf ears, though officials from Russia, Ukraine, the OSCE and the rebels were expected to discuss implementation of the peace deal by phone.
"We do not have the right (to stop fighting for Debaltseve). It's even a moral thing. It's internal territory," Denis Pushilin, a senior separatist representative, told Reuters in the rebel stronghold of Donetsk.
"We have to respond to fire, to work on destroying the enemy's fighting positions."
Asked about plans to carry out the agreement to withdraw big guns, he said: "We are ready at any time, we have everything ready for a mutual withdrawal. We will not do anything unilaterally. That would make our soldiers targets."
Ukraine's military reiterated that its forces could also not start withdrawing big weapons such as heavy artillery, as set out in the deal reached at marathon talks brokered by France and Germany in the Belarussian capital Minsk last Thursday.
"The pull-back can happen only on fulfilment of the first point of the Minsk agreements -- the ceasefire. In the last 24 hours there has been firing so there is no ceasefire and so there is no precondition for a pull-back of heavy weapons either," military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said.
Asked by Reuters whether the pull-back could start without a ceasefire at Debaltseve, a strategic railway junction, he said: "The Minsk agreements talk about a general ceasefire. So my answer is 'No, not possible'."
WESTERN CONCERN MOUNTS
Hopes that Thursday's deal will end a conflict that has killed more than 5,000 people have been dampened by the collapse of an earlier truce last month.
The European Union kept pressure on Russia and the rebels by announcing a new list of separatists and Russians targeted with sanctions on Monday. Moscow promised an "adequate" response.
The United States said it was "gravely concerned" by the fighting in and around Debaltseve and that it was closely monitoring reports of a new column of Russian military equipment moving toward the region.
"These aggressive actions and statements by the Russia-backed separatists threaten the most recent ceasefire," U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.
"We call on Russia and the separatists it backs to halt all attacks immediately."
Russia denies sending arms or troops to back the rebels in mainly Russian-speaking areas of east Ukraine despite what Kiev and the West say is incontrovertible proof.
The separatists said soon after the ceasefire came into effect they had no intention of observing it at Debaltseve, where they have been advancing since January and now have a Ukrainian unit all but encircled.
The OSCE said on Sunday the rebels had refused to allow its monitors into Debaltseve after the truce took effect.
Fighting began in east Ukraine after the overthrow of a Moscow-backed president in Kiev a year ago and Russia's annexation of the Crimea peninsula a month later.
The West fears Putin, who has called parts of Ukraine "New Russia," wants the conflict to fester for years so that Kiev cannot control east Ukraine and is prevented from joining NATO, while Russia can retain influence there.
Moscow accuses the West of waging a proxy war in Ukraine to seek "regime change" in Moscow and "contain" Russia.
Western countries say they reserve the option of expanding economic sanctions on Moscow over the crisis, hoping a growing financial crisis in Russia will persuade Putin to use his influence with the rebels to stop the fighting.
Some analysts say Putin is banking on Ukraine's economy collapsing much faster than Russia's and on Russians remaining united behind him over the seizure of Crimea, which has boosted his popularity ratings at home.
REUTERS
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
World News
2026-02-03
EU chief to visit Ukraine to mark four years of war
World News
2026-02-03
EU chief to visit Ukraine to mark four years of war
0
Lebanon News
2026-03-13
Israeli strike in Bar Elias targets Islamist group official
Lebanon News
2026-03-13
Israeli strike in Bar Elias targets Islamist group official
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-08
President Aoun tells CNN Lebanon seeks ties with Iran based on mutual respect, calls for end to war with Israel
Lebanon News
2026-06-08
President Aoun tells CNN Lebanon seeks ties with Iran based on mutual respect, calls for end to war with Israel
0
Lebanon News
2026-04-16
Hiba Nasr: Trump holds phone call with President Aoun
Lebanon News
2026-04-16
Hiba Nasr: Trump holds phone call with President Aoun
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
2
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
3
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
4
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
5
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
6
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
7
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
8
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More