News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
19
o
Keserwan
26
o
Metn
26
o
Mount Lebanon
21
o
North
26
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Late Night News
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
19
o
Keserwan
26
o
Metn
26
o
Mount Lebanon
21
o
North
26
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
REPORT: Rebels say capture army post near Syria's southern border
World News
05-04-2013 | 11:50
High views
Share
Share
4
min
REPORT: Rebels say capture army post near Syria's southern border
Syrian rebels said they overran an army garrison that defends the main border crossing with Jordan on Friday, after a more than week-long siege, a step towards their aim of taking the strategically important border post.
Fighters from the Free Syrian Army captured the heavily fortified Um al-Mayathen garrison on the main Damascus-Jordan highway, several kilometers from Syria's' Nassib border crossing, after heavy clashes overnight with army forces that left dozens dead.
UN officials believe that some four million people are now trapped inside Syria after fleeing the fighting.
The figure is a dramatic rise on earlier estimates by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees of some 2.5 million displaced living in deteriorating conditions inside the country.
It also adds to the 1.2 million refugees who have fled across borders into neighboring countries, placing a huge strain on governments in Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon who have kept frontiers open.
With almost a quarter of Syria's population of around 22.5 million now in flight, the two-year conflict raising the toll of civilians caught in cross-fire as opposition forces seek to topple President Bashar al-Assad.
Health services, bakeries, schools, vital components of normal life have shut down, leaving Syria's population in distress.
Those who could flee have already gone, leaving the most vulnerable to provide for themselves, many of the displaced have now been forced to relocate two or three times as the fighting has shifted.
Aid agencies themselves have lost team members killed in the bloodshed taking place in Syria, while UN-led operations try to get aid across battle fronts.
Separately, the United Nations and Syria have not yet agreed on how much access a team of chemical weapons inspectors will have to investigate allegations that such arms were used recently in the Syrian conflict, according to a letter to Syria's U.N. envoy.
The United Nations said last month it would investigate the Syrian government's allegations that rebels used chemical arms in an attack near the northern city of Aleppo.
Western countries also want a probe of two additional rebel claims about the use of such arms. The opposition says Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government carried out all three alleged chemical attacks.
There has been an exchange of letters about access for the investigators between Syrian Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari and the head of the U.N. Office of Disarmament Affairs Angela Kane, according to a letter from Kane obtained by Reuters on Thursday.
That letter said Ja'afari wrote to Kane on Tuesday suggesting amendments to her proposed "legal and logistical parameters" for the investigation.
Ja'afari has said repeatedly that the inspectors need only limited access to the areas related to the Aleppo incident, in which the government and rebels accuse each other of firing a missile laden with chemicals that killed 26 people.
Diplomats said Assad's government has also suggested it wants a say in who will be on the inspection team.
Kane responded to Ja'afari by saying that it was "solely for the Secretary-General (Ban Ki-moon) to determine the composition of the investigation mission, which should have the necessary freedom of movement and access to conduct a thorough and objective investigation."
REUTERS/LBCI
For the full report, please click on the VIDEO above.
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Middle East News
2026-04-11
Iraqi parliament elects Nizar Amedi as country's new president
Middle East News
2026-04-11
Iraqi parliament elects Nizar Amedi as country's new president
0
Lebanon News
2026-03-10
Israel launches strikes on Beirut's suburbs following warning
Lebanon News
2026-03-10
Israel launches strikes on Beirut's suburbs following warning
0
World News
2026-01-29
Trump says Fed should 'substantially lower' interest rates
World News
2026-01-29
Trump says Fed should 'substantially lower' interest rates
0
World News
2026-04-08
North Korea fires another ballistic missile towards East Sea: Seoul
World News
2026-04-08
North Korea fires another ballistic missile towards East Sea: Seoul
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
2
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
3
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
4
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
5
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
6
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
7
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
8
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More