REPORT: White House says audit of Venezuela election is necessary step

World News
15-04-2013 | 10:40
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
REPORT: White House says audit of Venezuela election is necessary step
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
REPORT: White House says audit of Venezuela election is necessary step
                  
The White House said on Monday that auditing Venezuela's close election that was narrowly won by Nicholas Maduro, the late socialist leader Hugo Chavez's chosen successor, was a necessary and prudent step.                         

Maduro edged out opposition challenger Henrique Capriles with 50.7 percent of the votes, according to election board returns. Capriles took 49.1 percent.
                               
"Given the tightness of the result - around 1 percent of the votes cast separate the candidates - the opposition candidate and at least one member of the electoral council have called for a 100 percent audit of the results," White House spokesman Jay Carney told a news briefing.                        

"This appears an important, prudent and necessary step to ensure that all Venezuelans have confidence in these results," Carney said. "In our view rushing to a decision in these circumstances would be inconsistent with the expectations of Venezuelans for a clear and democratic outcome." 

This comes as the Venezuelan government said Nicolas Maduro would be formally proclaimed winner of the presidency by the election board at a ceremony and rally in Caracas to be held on Monday afternoon, despite opposition demands for a total recount.                    

State media called on Venezuelans to attend the event in downtown Caracas at 2 p.m. local time (1830 GMT) after Maduro's narrow win in Sunday's vote.

Opposition candidate Henrique Capriles has refused to accept the result, saying there were thousands of irregularities during polling.

Nicolas Maduro, a former bus driver who became Hugo Chavez's protege, was declared the winner of Venezuela's presidential election on Sunday but the opposition refused to accept the result and demanded a recount of all the votes.               

Capriles' refusal to accept the result raised fears of political unrest in Venezuela, an OPEC nation with the world's biggest oil reserves.           

The National Electoral Council earlier said that more than 99 percent of votes had been counted and that Maduro's victory was "irreversible."                    

Government supporters immediately gathered to celebrate outside the Miraflores presidential palace, where Maduro paid an emotional tribute to Chavez, the socialist leader who named him as his successor in his last speech to the nation before dying last month from cancer.            

"The fight continues!" Maduro, 50, told the victory rally.            

"This was the first time without the giant candidate, but he left behind his 'son,' who is now going to be president and is going to show he is worthy of the fatherland."                  


REUTERS/LBCI
 


To watch the full report, please click on the video above.
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More