News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
18
o
Keserwan
25
o
Metn
25
o
Mount Lebanon
21
o
North
25
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Shark Tank
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
18
o
Keserwan
25
o
Metn
25
o
Mount Lebanon
21
o
North
25
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
REPORT: Belgium charges airport suspect, calls off Brussels "march against fear"
Author:
Yazbec Wehbe
Breaking Headlines
27-03-2016 | 05:09
High views
Share
Share
5
min
REPORT: Belgium charges airport suspect, calls off Brussels "march against fear"
Belgian prosecutors have charged three men with terrorist offences over the Brussels bombings and Italian police have arrested an Algerian suspected of having produced false documents for militants connected to the attacks.
With the investigation now spanning several countries, and increasing signs of links to the Paris attacks in November, Belgian authorities called off a planned "march against fear" in the jittery capital on Sunday to relieve pressure on the police.
The suicide bomb attacks targeting Brussels airport and a rush-hour metro train on Tuesday killed 31 people, including three of the attackers, and injured hundreds more. Islamic State has claimed responsibility.
After a series of raids and arrests in Belgium and Gemany since the attacks, Algerian Djamal Eddine Ouali, 40, was arrested by Italy's DIGOS anti-terrorism police in southern Italy, Italian media said on Saturday.
The Sky TG 24 television and other media reports said he was the subject of an arrest warrant issued by Belgium for producing and procuring false documents to be used in illegal immigration.
His name was found in documents in a raid in an apartment near Brussels last October, including some documents with photos of some of the militants involved in the attacks in Paris and in Brussels and the aliases they used, the reports said.
Of the three men charged on Saturday, Belgian prosecutors named one as Faycal C. Belgian media identified him as Faycal Cheffou and said he was "the man in the hat", as he has become known, in last Tuesday's airport CCTV footage that showed three men pushing baggage trolleys bearing luggage.
The two others in the picture are believed to have blown themselves up.
Cheffou was charged with taking part in the activities of a terrorist group, and actual and attempted terrorist murder.
The other two charged on Saturday, Aboubakar A. and Rabah N., were accused of terrorist activities and membership of a terrorist group.
Rabah N. was wanted in connection with a related raid in France this week that authorities say foiled an attack plot.
SECURITY CALL
Brussels mayor Yvan Mayeur told Le Soir newspaper that Cheffou, who said he was a freelance journalist, was "dangerous" and that he had been detained a number of times at a park where he sought to encourage asylum seekers camped there to turn to militancy.
The authorities also said that a man arrested on Friday after being shot in the leg at a tram stop in the Brussels district of Schaerbeek was being held for a further 24 hours.
He was identified as Abderamane A. and was one of three people arrested on Friday.
That operation was linked to the arrest in Paris on Thursday of an Islamist convicted in Belgium last year and suspected of plotting a new attack, Belgian prosecutors said.
German lawmakers said Europe urgently needed to improve the way its security agencies share information amid increasing signs the same network was behind the attacks in Brussels and those in Paris in November that killed 130 people.
Organisers called off Sunday's Belgian solidarity march after officials including the city's mayor urged people to stay away in order to spare the over-taxed police force.
"The security of our citizens is an absolute priority," said march organiser Emmanuel Foulon.
Officials said 24 victims from nine different nationalities had been identified so far from the attacks in Brussels, which is the headquarters of the European Union and NATO. Four people remain unidentified.
Highlighting the jittery national mood, the murder this week of a security guard employed at a site in Belgium holding radioactive materials has stoked debate about the risks of militants attempting some kind of nuclear attack.
On Saturday prosecutors denied media reports that the security guard had had his access badge stolen and the implication it could have been a motive for his murder.
Late last year, investigators found a video tracking the movements of a man linked to Belgium's nuclear industry during a search of a flat as part of investigations into the Paris attacks.
REUTERS
To watch the full report, please click on the video above.
Breaking Headlines
Brussels
Belgium
Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Recommended For You
d-none hideMe
0
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Middle East News
2026-04-23
British and French Defense Ministers express confidence in progress on Strait of Hormuz
Middle East News
2026-04-23
British and French Defense Ministers express confidence in progress on Strait of Hormuz
0
Lebanon News
2026-05-05
Someone’s winning $100,000 in Gold this Friday… and it could be you!
Lebanon News
2026-05-05
Someone’s winning $100,000 in Gold this Friday… and it could be you!
0
Lebanon News
2026-04-01
Qatar suspends visa-on-arrival for Lebanese citizens, requires prior approval
Lebanon News
2026-04-01
Qatar suspends visa-on-arrival for Lebanese citizens, requires prior approval
0
Lebanon Economy
2026-05-30
Lebanon Finance Ministry clarifies aid figures: $50 million to Social Affairs, broader aid exceeds hundreds of millions
Lebanon Economy
2026-05-30
Lebanon Finance Ministry clarifies aid figures: $50 million to Social Affairs, broader aid exceeds hundreds of millions
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
2
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
3
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
4
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
5
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
6
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
7
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
8
Israel-Gaza War Updates
09:33
Trump envoy Kushner discusses Gaza with Egypt's Sisi: Presidency
Israel-Gaza War Updates
09:33
Trump envoy Kushner discusses Gaza with Egypt's Sisi: Presidency
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More