News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
18
o
Keserwan
25
o
Metn
25
o
Mount Lebanon
21
o
North
26
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Thawrat AlFalahin
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
18
o
Keserwan
25
o
Metn
25
o
Mount Lebanon
21
o
North
26
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
REPORT: Taliban attack near Afghan parliament kills more than 30
Author:
Nicole Hajal
Breaking Headlines
10-01-2017 | 10:02
High views
Share
Share
REPORT: Taliban attack near Afghan parliament kills more than 30
4
min
REPORT: Taliban attack near Afghan parliament kills more than 30
A Taliban suicide attack in the Afghan capital Kabul on Tuesday killed more than 30 people and wounded some 70 others, as twin blasts hit a crowded area of the city during the afternoon rush hour.
Saleem Rasouli, a senior public health official, said 33 people had been killed and more than 70 wounded in the attack on the Darul Aman road, near an annex to the new Indian-financed parliament building. He said most of the victims were parliamentary staff members.
On the same day, at least another 14 people were killed and dozens injured in separate incidents in the volatile southern provinces of Helmand and Kandahar.
The Islamist militant Afghan Taliban movement, which immediately claimed responsibility for the Kabul attack, said its target had been a minibus carrying staff from the National Directorate of Security (NDS), Afghanistan's main intelligence agency.
It put the casualties at more than 70 and said they were all members of the security forces.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said a suicide bomber attacked the minibus in the Darul Aman area, and was followed almost immediately by a car bomber, who killed security forces attending the scene.
"We planned this attack for quite some time and the plan was target some senior officers of the intelligence agency. We sent one suicide bomber to target a mini bus that was carrying these officers," he said. "We did exactly what we planned."
One witness, Sajadullah Khan, said he saw numerous wounded people lying on the ground after the explosion which he said "totally burned out" the minibus.
President Ashraf Ghani condemned the "criminal" attacks and vowed the perpetrators would not be safe anywhere in the country.
"The Taliban shamelessly claim credit for the attack on civilians and they're proud of it," he said in a statement.
AMBASSADOR WOUNDED
The attack underlined the security threat posed by Islamist militants fighting to topple the Afghan government and drive out foreign troops stationed there for the last 15 years.
Hours after the Kabul incident, at least seven people were killed and 18 wounded in an explosion in the southern city of Kandahar. There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Among the wounded were the provincial governor and the United Arab Emirates ambassador, officials said.
Afghan armed forces control no more than two thirds of national territory, and have struggled to contain the Taliban insurgency since the bulk of NATO soldiers withdrew at the end of 2014.
Several thousand, mainly Americans, remain in training and counter-terrorism roles.
The United States has announced plans to send 300 Marines to the volatile southern province of Helmand, large parts of which are under Taliban control, as part of a regular rotation of troops helping train and advise Afghan forces.
Earlier on Tuesday, a suicide bomber killed seven people and wounded nine when he detonated his explosives in a house in Helmand used by an NDS unit.
Thousands of civilians have been killed in Afghanistan in the 15 years since the Taliban government was brought down in the U.S.-led campaign of 2001.
In July, the U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan reported that 1,601 civilians had been killed in the first half of the year, a record since it began collating figures in 2009.
As well as the Taliban and associated groups including the Haqqani network, militants pledging loyalty to Islamic State have carried out major attacks in Kabul, most recently in November when more than 30 people were killed by a suicide bomber in a Shi'ite mosque.
REUTERS
To watch the full report, please click on the video above.
Breaking Headlines
Taliban
Afghanistan
Blast
Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Recommended For You
d-none hideMe
0
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
News Bulletin Reports
2026-05-23
Lebanon brings ceasefire and battlefield assessment to first direct military talks with Israel—what will be on the table?
News Bulletin Reports
2026-05-23
Lebanon brings ceasefire and battlefield assessment to first direct military talks with Israel—what will be on the table?
0
Middle East News
2026-04-01
Yemen's Houthis claim third missile attack targeting Israel
Middle East News
2026-04-01
Yemen's Houthis claim third missile attack targeting Israel
0
World News
2026-01-04
Netanyahu says Israel supports 'strong' US action in Venezuela
World News
2026-01-04
Netanyahu says Israel supports 'strong' US action in Venezuela
0
Middle East News
2026-03-26
Iran bans sports teams from travelling to countries it deems 'hostile'
Middle East News
2026-03-26
Iran bans sports teams from travelling to countries it deems 'hostile'
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
2
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
3
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
4
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
5
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
6
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
7
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
8
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More