Italy: 4 sailors kidnapped off Nigeria freed

Breaking Headlines
09-01-2013 | 05:20
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Italy: 4 sailors kidnapped off Nigeria freed
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
Italy: 4 sailors kidnapped off Nigeria freed

Italy's foreign minister says three Italian shipmen and one Ukrainian kidnapped Dec. 23 off Nigeria's coast have been freed.             

Minister Giulio Terzi said in a statement Wednesday that the three Italians would be returning home to Italy soon.        

Gunmen had attacked their supply ship, the Asso21 operated by Naples-based shipping company Augusta Offshore SpA, and taken the men hostage on Dec. 23 as they sailed off the coast of Bayelsa state. It was the latest attack in the West African region that is increasingly dangerous for shippers and oil companies.           

Terzi said their freedom was the fruit of successful diplomatic efforts by Italian and Nigerian officials.         

Speaking to RAI state radio, Terzi said the attack was unusual in that the gunmen didn't seize the ship, but rather just took the men hostage. They were all crew members of the ship.            

He said 30 Italians who had been kidnapped in similar incidents in recent months had been freed.   


AP

Breaking Headlines

sailors

kidnapped

Nigeria

freed

LBCI Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More