Kremlin says no deal reached with Saudi on changing Syria stance

World News
09-08-2013 | 08:16
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Kremlin says no deal reached with Saudi on changing Syria stance
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
4min
Kremlin says no deal reached with Saudi on changing Syria stance

Russian President Vladimir Putin has not made an agreement with Saudi Arabia to scale back support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in exchange for economic incentives including an arms deal, the Kremlin said on Friday.
   
Commenting on a Reuters report that Saudi intelligence chief Prince Bandar made the proposal to Putin at talks last week in Moscow, Putin's foreign policy adviser, Yuri Ushakov, said no deal had been discussed in detail.
   
He also said no specifics about military cooperation had been discussed but did not issue a denial that the broad outlines of a proposal had been presented to Putin.
   
"Putin did not discuss a deal," Ushakov told reporters. "No specific questions on developing military cooperation were discussed."
   
Suggesting the meeting had been short on detail, he said:  "It was a very rich and interesting meeting that was of a philosophical character."
   
Prince Bandar and Putin "demonstrated a similar amount of concern" about the conflict in Syria, he said.
  
Russia has supported Assad with arms and diplomatic cover throughout the war and any change in Moscow's stance would remove a major obstacle to action on Syria by the United Nations Security Council.
  
Syrian opposition sources close to Saudi Arabia said Prince Bandar offered to buy up to $15 billion of Russian weapons as well as ensuring that Gulf gas would not threaten Russia's position as a main gas supplier to Europe.
  
In return, Saudi Arabia wanted Moscow to ease its strong support of Assad and agree not to block any future Security Council Resolution on Syria, they said.
  
A Gulf source familiar with the matter also said that Prince Bandar offered to buy large quantities of arms from Russia, but that no cash amount was specified in the talks.
 
This comes as Vedomosti newspaper reported that Russia has not delivered the sophisticated S-300 missile systems ordered by Syria although several have been built.

According to the Russian arms export agency's contract with Damascus, a batch of the systems was due to be sent to Syria this spring, but the systems are now apparently due for delivery in the summer of 2014 although Damascus has paid a multi-million deposit, Vedomosti said.            

This as Russian President Vladimir Putin said in June that Moscow had not yet delivered the advanced anti-aircraft missile systems to the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for fear of upsetting the balance of power on the regional level.

Separately, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has discussed the escalating humanitarian crisis and increasing sectarian violence in Syria with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.  

U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said the U.N. chief underscored the need to find a political solution to the 2 1/2-year Syria conflict and to urgently renew momentum for a new Geneva conference to try to get the government and opposition to agree on a transitional government.           
He said the secretary-general told Lavrov at a working dinner Thursday that the U.N. would do "its utmost" to support Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations. They also discussed Lebanon, Afghanistan, the broader Middle East and North Africa, he said.                

The Syrian crisis is also likely to highlight Lavrov's meeting in Washington Friday with Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel. 
                  

LBCI/AP/REUTERS
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More