News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
18
o
Keserwan
26
o
Metn
26
o
Mount Lebanon
23
o
North
26
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Loghz Al Akwiya
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
18
o
Keserwan
26
o
Metn
26
o
Mount Lebanon
23
o
North
26
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
China to phase out use of prisoners' organs for transplants
World News
15-08-2013 | 09:32
High views
Share
Share
4
min
China to phase out use of prisoners' organs for transplants
China will start phasing out its decades-long practice of using the organs of executed prisoners for transplant operations from November, a senior official said on Thursday, as it pushes to mandate the use of organs from ethical sources in hospitals.
China remains the only country in the world that still systematically uses organs extracted from executed prisoners in transplant operations, a practice that has drawn widespread international criticism. Many Chinese view the practice as a way for criminals to redeem themselves.
But officials have recently spoken out against the practice of harvesting organs from dead inmates, saying it "tarnishes the image of China".
The health ministry will begin enforcing the use of organs from voluntary donors allocated through a fledging national program at a meeting set to be held in November, former deputy health minister Huang Jiefu, who still heads the ministry's organ transplant office, told Reuters.
"I am confident that before long all accredited hospitals will forfeit the use of prisoner organs," Huang said.
The first batch of all 165 Chinese hospitals licensed for transplants will promise to stop using organs harvested from death row inmates at the November meeting, he added. Huang did not specify the exact number.
MEETING "ACCEPTED ETHICAL STANDARDS"
An Australian-trained liver transplant surgeon, Huang said the China Organ Transplant Committee will ensure that the "source of the organs for transplantation must meet the commonly accepted ethical standards in the world".
That effectively means the use of prisoner organs at approved hospitals will come to an end, but the timeframe remains indefinite, he added.
China has launched pilot volunteer organ donor programs in 25 provinces and municipalities with the aim of creating a nationwide voluntary scheme by the end of 2013.
By the end of 2012, about 64 percent of transplanted organs in China came from executed prisoners and the number has dipped to under 54 percent so far this year, according to figures provided by Huang.
At a meeting in August last year, Huang, deputy health minister at the time, told officials that top leaders had decided to reduce dependency on prisoners' organs, according to a transcript of the meeting obtained by Reuters.
Rights groups say many organs are taken from prisoners without their consent or their family's knowledge, something the government denies.
So far, more than 1,000 organ donors have come through the new system, benefiting at least 3,000 patients, Huang said.
Voluntary organ donation in China has already risen from 63 cases in all of 2010 to a current average of 130 per month so far this year, Huang added. However, not all donated organs are currently allocated through the new program, leaving room for human interference, one of the main challenges the reform faces.
Supply still falls far short of demand due in part to the traditional Chinese belief that bodies should be buried or cremated intact. An estimated 300,000 patients are waitlisted every year for organ transplants and only about one in 30 ultimately will receive a transplant.
The shortage has driven a trade in illegal organ trafficking and in 2007 the government banned organ transplants from living donors, except spouses, blood relatives and step or adopted family members.
REUTERS
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Middle East News
2026-02-25
Syria confirms mass escape from Al-Hol camp for relatives of jihadists
Middle East News
2026-02-25
Syria confirms mass escape from Al-Hol camp for relatives of jihadists
0
News Bulletin Reports
2026-06-03
Inside Lebanon's future Qlayaat Airport: Military air base set for civilian revival
News Bulletin Reports
2026-06-03
Inside Lebanon's future Qlayaat Airport: Military air base set for civilian revival
0
World News
2026-01-15
US seizes Venezuela-linked tanker ahead of Trump-Machado meeting
World News
2026-01-15
US seizes Venezuela-linked tanker ahead of Trump-Machado meeting
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-02
Patriarch al-Rahi calls for swift reconstruction, says state must remain sole authority
Lebanon News
2026-08-02
Patriarch al-Rahi calls for swift reconstruction, says state must remain sole authority
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
2
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:57
US responds to Qassem remarks, says Hezbollah bears responsibility for Israeli presence in Lebanon
3
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
4
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
5
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
Lebanon News
06:40
Lebanon Civil Defense warns against swimming along coast amid high waves
6
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
Middle East News
05:40
Iran disputes Qatar, Kuwait accounts of captured Iranian personnel
7
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
World News
06:26
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
8
Israel-Gaza War Updates
09:33
Trump envoy Kushner discusses Gaza with Egypt's Sisi: Presidency
Israel-Gaza War Updates
09:33
Trump envoy Kushner discusses Gaza with Egypt's Sisi: Presidency
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More