News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
16
o
Keserwan
24
o
Metn
24
o
Mount Lebanon
20
o
North
25
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Nightly News Bulletin
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
16
o
Keserwan
24
o
Metn
24
o
Mount Lebanon
20
o
North
25
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Japanese media tours Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant
World News
07-11-2013 | 07:41
High views
Share
Share
4
min
Japanese media tours Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant
Japanese media toured the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant on Wednesday ahead of the removal of used nuclear fuel rods from the plant's crippled reactor.
The plant was badly damaged in the aftermath of a March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
Last week, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), which operates the stricken plant, announced plans to remove the first fuel rods in reactor no. 4 in the coming days.
Reactor no. 4 is one of three reactors that melted down after the disaster.
The process is considered extremely dangerous and could unleash high levels of radiation if something were to go wrong.
However, The Nuclear Regulation Authority said that the proposal by TEPCO was appropriate and that the removal could start in November as planned, following an on-site inspection by regulators.
TEPCO said it may not announce the date in advance, citing security reasons.
Removing the fuel rods from the reactor cooling pool is the first major step in a decommissioning process that is expected to last decades at the plant.
Akira Ono, chief of Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant said, "Wearing Tyvek suits (protective suits), full-faced masks makes the working conditions more challenging for us. So, in that sense, I feel that it is important to devote every effort in handling proper procedures (to decommission)."
The reactor was offline when the plant was hit by the disasters, but the building was damaged by hydrogen explosions and fire.
TEPCO has reinforced the structure around the cooling pool and says the Unit 4 building, which houses reactor 4, can survive a major earthquake, but the unenclosed pool on the unit's top floor, which contains 1,533 fuel rods, has caused international concern.
About 200 of the rods that are unused and safer are expected to be the first to be removed.
The cooling pool has attracted international attention in part, because early in the crisis it was suspected to have dried up, when in fact there was enough water to cover the rods, keeping them from melting.
The Japanese nuclear watchdog warned that removing the fuel rods from Unit 4 would be difficult because of the risk posed by debris that fell into the pool during the explosions.
TEPCO has prepared a massive steel structure that comes with a remote-controlled crane to remove the fuel rods, which will be placed into a protective cask and transferred to a joint cooling pool inside a nearby building.
The utility plans to empty the reactor 4 pool by end of 2014, and remove fuel rods from other pools at the three other wrecked reactors over several years before digging into their melted cores around 2020.
The Fukushima plant has had a series of mishaps in recent months, including radioactive contaminated water leaks from storage tanks, adding to concerns about TEPCO's ability to safely close down the plant.
AP
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
World News
2026-04-04
Trump says Iran has 48 hours to make deal or US will unleash 'Hell'
World News
2026-04-04
Trump says Iran has 48 hours to make deal or US will unleash 'Hell'
0
World News
2026-01-22
Zelensky says Europe 'fragmented,' looks 'lost' facing Trump
World News
2026-01-22
Zelensky says Europe 'fragmented,' looks 'lost' facing Trump
0
Lebanon News
2026-02-13
Saad Hariri holds talks with US, UN, and French envoys in Beirut
Lebanon News
2026-02-13
Saad Hariri holds talks with US, UN, and French envoys in Beirut
0
Middle East News
2026-06-15
Netanyahu says Israeli forces to stay in Lebanon, Syria, Gaza 'as long as necessary'
Middle East News
2026-06-15
Netanyahu says Israeli forces to stay in Lebanon, Syria, Gaza 'as long as necessary'
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
2
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
3
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
4
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
5
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
6
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
7
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
8
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More