Blast at Egyptian army building in Delta wounds four soldiers

World News
29-12-2013 | 13:56
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Blast at Egyptian army building in Delta wounds four soldiers
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
4min
Blast at Egyptian army building in Delta wounds four soldiers
       
A bomb targeted an Egyptian military intelligence building north of Cairo on Sunday, wounding four soldiers, the army said, in the second bomb attack on the security forces in the Nile Delta in less than a week.        

The bomb went off near an entrance to the building in the  village of Anshas, 100 km (60 miles) north of the capital, partly destroying the back wall.       

The army described the bombing as a terrorist attack. Its statement referred to "groups of darkness" and did not name the Muslim Brotherhood, which it declared a terrorist organisation last week.      

That decision was a response to a suicide bomb attack on Tuesday on a police compound in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, north of the site of Sunday's explosion.         

Since then the government has used the new classification to detain hundreds of the movement's supporters and thousands more are already in jail.         

The government had accused the Brotherhood of carrying out the suicide bombing, which killed 16 people and for which a radical Sinai-based group called Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis claimed responsibility.           

In Anshas, some residents at the scene were quick to blame the Brotherhood for Sunday's attack: "The Brotherhood want to scare people so they don't come out for the referendum," said Ahmed Salah, wearing a dusty tracksuit and standing near the damaged building.         

The army-backed government has said the violence will not derail a political transition plan whose next step is a mid-January referendum on a new constitution.        

But the two latest explosions point to the widening reach of militant attacks that have become commonplace since the army deposed Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July.           

Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis has claimed other major attacks since Morsi's downfall, including a failed attempt to assassinate the interior minister in September.        

Around 350 police and soldiers have been killed in bombings and shootings since Morsi was deposed, most of them in the Sinai Peninsula, where Islamist radicals expanded into a security vacuum left by the Hosni Mubarak's downfall in early 2011.         

Security forces killed hundreds of Morsi's supporters in the months after his removal and have arrested thousands more.          

Three security sources said Sunday's explosion came from a bomb near the building, but did not specify where it was planted. State-run Nile News TV station said it was a car bomb.         

Five people were wounded by a bomb that went off near a bus in Cairo on Thursday. That bomb appeared to be the first targeting civilians, though there was no claim of responsibility saying what had been targeted.         

The authorities say they have defused several other bombs in recent days. On Sunday, police found and defused a crude homemade bomb inside a bag left outside a university building in the Nile Delta city of Damietta.


REUTERS
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More