News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
30
o
Bekaa
27
o
Keserwan
29
o
Metn
29
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
29
o
South
29
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Catchy Talk
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
30
o
Bekaa
27
o
Keserwan
29
o
Metn
29
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
29
o
South
29
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Nigerians doubtful of girls' release after Boko Haram "truce" breached
World News
19-10-2014 | 09:07
High views
Share
Share
5
min
Nigerians doubtful of girls' release after Boko Haram "truce" breached
A wave of violence hours after Nigeria's government announced a truce with Boko Haram raised doubt on Sunday about whether more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by the Islamist militants will really be released, deflating the new hopes of their parents.
Nigeria's armed forces chief Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh announced the ceasefire on Friday to enable the release of the girls, who were abducted from the remote northeastern village of Chiboke in April.
But Boko Haram has not confirmed the truce and there have been at least five attacks since - blamed by security sources on the insurgents - that have killed dozens. Talks were scheduled to continue in neighboring Chad on Monday.
"We were jubilating. We had every reason to be happy ... but since then the ceasefire has been broken in quite a number of places already," Lawan Abana, a parent of the one of the missing girls, told Reuters by telephone.
He added that there were doubts about the credentials of the reported Boko Haram negotiator Danladi Ahmadu, who was unheard of before. "Can we trust him that he can deliver on this promise of releasing the girls when he has not delivered on the promise of the ceasefire?" Abana said.
The government says the attacks may not have been Boko Haram but one of several criminal groups exploiting the chaos of its insurgency. Analysts point out that Boko Haram is anyway heavily fictionalized, so what matters is whether the faction the government is talking to has control over the girls' fate.
"Boko Haram is deeply fractured. The Nigerian government has had a ... difficult time identifying a Boko Haram representative who could make compromises and guarantee the entire group will observe them," risk consultancy Stratfor said in a note.
"It is quite possible that Abuja has reached an agreement with a legitimate representative of a specific cell ... that holds the kidnapped schoolgirls captive," it said on Saturday.
QUEST TO CARVE OUT ISLAMIC STATE
Boko Haram, whose name translates roughly as "Western education is sinful", has massacred thousands in a battle to carve an Islamic state out of religiously mixed Nigeria.
Its only known method of conveying messages is via videotaped speeches by a man claiming to be Abubakar Shekau, its leader whom the military last year said it had killed.
Ahmed Salkida, a Nigerian journalist who was once close to Boko Haram and shared a jail cell with its founder Mohammed Yusuf in 2009, tweeted that whoever Ahmadu is, he is not a member of Boko Haram's senior "Shura council" nor does "he speak for them, as far as I know".
A swift release of the girls would bode well for the campaign of President Goodluck Jonathan for Feb. 2015 elections. Jonathan has faced relentless criticism for failing to protect civilians in the northeast or resolve the Chibok girls crisis.
Boko Haram is regarded as the worst threat to the future of Nigeria, Africa's biggest economy and oil producer.
Jonathan is expected to declare he is running for a second elected term soon, and the opposition is keen not to allow him to capitalize on efforts to free the girls.
"It's interesting the timing comes as Jonathan is about to announce he wants to run for a second term. Is it by sheer coincidence?" the spokesman for the main All Progressives Congress, Lai Mohammed, said by telephone.
But Nigeria's military has scored some successes against Boko Haram over the past two weeks, wresting back some territory near the northeast border with Cameroon.
Oby Ezekwesil, whose "Bring back our girls" campaign has highlighted daily protests in Abuja, told Reuters she was "cautiously optimistic" but "extremely anxious, not knowing what the details of this ceasefire really are.
"If it happens, it would be the best news in decades."
REUTERS
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
World News
2026-08-16
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
World News
2026-08-16
Poland to send emergency aircraft to Budapest after coach crash: PM Tusk
0
Middle East News
03:55
Houthis target refinery in southern Saudi Arabia: Rebel media
Middle East News
03:55
Houthis target refinery in southern Saudi Arabia: Rebel media
0
Lebanon News
2026-03-30
One killed, 17 wounded in Israeli strike on Beirut’s southern suburbs: Health Ministry
Lebanon News
2026-03-30
One killed, 17 wounded in Israeli strike on Beirut’s southern suburbs: Health Ministry
0
World News
2026-01-28
Gold tops $5,200 for the first time
World News
2026-01-28
Gold tops $5,200 for the first time
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
News Bulletin Reports
13:02
Between war and the harvest: South Lebanon’s tobacco farmers hold on
2
Lebanon Economy
03:28
Fuel prices slightly change across Lebanon
Lebanon Economy
03:28
Fuel prices slightly change across Lebanon
3
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
Middle East News
11:45
Israeli official says Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to supervise Hamas disarming
4
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
Middle East News
10:09
Iran threatens to go on offensive in Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with US fails
5
Lebanon News
06:14
President Aoun: Lebanon welcomes Canadian support for return of southern residents
Lebanon News
06:14
President Aoun: Lebanon welcomes Canadian support for return of southern residents
6
Middle East News
10:25
Seven migrants dead, 50 rescued off Libya: Charity
Middle East News
10:25
Seven migrants dead, 50 rescued off Libya: Charity
7
Middle East News
02:13
Airstrikes target military airbase in northwestern Syria, security source tells AFP
Middle East News
02:13
Airstrikes target military airbase in northwestern Syria, security source tells AFP
8
Middle East News
04:37
Syria accuses Israel of striking airfield in northwest
Middle East News
04:37
Syria accuses Israel of striking airfield in northwest
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More