Houthis release kidnapped Yemen aide, three sources say

World News
27-01-2015 | 11:55
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Houthis release kidnapped Yemen aide, three sources say
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
Houthis release kidnapped Yemen aide, three sources say
Yemen's Houthi movement has freed the presidential chief of staff, whom it seized on Jan. 17 during a power struggle with then President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, Houthi official Ali al-Quhoom and two government officials said on Tuesday.       
 
The seizure of the aide, Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak, helped  plunge Yemen into political crisis, resulting in clashes between the Houthis and President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's presidential guards that prompted the president and the government to resign. 
 
A Yemeni official had earlier reported that the aide, Ahmed Awad bin Mubarak, had been released in Sanaa to a tribal leader from his native Shabwa province in southeastern Yemen. There was no immediate comment from that official.             
 
Quhoom, a member of the Houthi politburo, confirmed that a delegation of tribal chiefs headed by Sheikh Awad al-Wazir, a parliament member from Shabwa, were meeting Houthi officials in Sanaa to mediate for bin Mubarak's release.           
 
"He will be freed within hours," Quhoom told Reuters by telephone, adding there would be no conditions attached to his release. "This is a step to try to end the situation (of political crisis) and in honour of the mediation team."           
 
Houthis seized bin Mubarak and threatened unspecified further steps after Hadi unveiled a new draft constitution that would devolve authority to regions, in an attempt to resolve big regional, political and sectarian differences in Yemen.         
 
The Houthis quickly rejected the draft, saying it paved the way for dividing the country and obstructing a power sharing agreement they signed when they captured Sanaa in September. Hadi and the rest of his government resigned on Thursday in exasperation at the Houthi takeover of much of the country.  
 
 
 
REUTERS
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More