Neighbors of a soldier accused of gunning down 16 Afghan women and children in a nighttime rampage describe him
as a family man, playing with his two kids outside his home.
Reporters swarmed a neighborhood in a rural, wooded community about 35
miles (56 kilometers) south of Seattle, as attorney John Henry Browne
confirmed the suspect, his client, was Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales
from Lake Tapps, Washington.
"I just can't believe Bob's the guy who did this," said Paul Wohlberg,
a next-door neighbor who said his family was friends with the Bales
family. "A good guy got put in the wrong place at the wrong time ... I
never thought something like this would happen to him."
Five days after the shooting, a senior U.S. official first confirmed
Friday it was Bales, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the
sensitivity of the investigation into an incident that has roiled
relations with Afghanistan. Military officials had said throughout the
week that it was policy not to release the name until charges were
filed.
Kassie Holland, who lives next door, said she would often see Bales
playing with his two kids and the family together at the modern
split-level home.
"My reaction is that I'm shocked," she said. "I can't believe it was
him. There were no signs. It's really sad. I don't want to believe
that he did it."
"He always had a good attitude about being in the service. He was
never really angry about it. When I heard him talk, he said, it seemed
like, yeah, that's my job. That's what I do. He never expressed a lot
of emotion toward it."
Bales has not yet been charged. He was flown Friday from Kuwait and
arrived Friday evening at a military detention center at Fort
Leavenworth, Kansas, the military's only maximum-security prison.
The Army said he was placed in his own cell, not a normal four-person
bay. He will get time out of his cell for hygiene and recreational
purposes and religious support, if he desires.
An Air Force cargo jet arrived at Kansas City International Airport,
about an hour from the military prison, shortly after 9 p.m. Friday.
Security was tight, with the terminal completely blocked off, and a
convoy of unmarked vehicles pulled off the tarmac and out of the
airport.
Bales enlisted about two months after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror
attacks and had served with the 3rd Stryker Brigade based at Joint
Base Lewis-McChord since Sept 11, 2002. He became a staff sergeant in
April 2008, following his second deployment in Iraq.
He went to Iraq one more time before his fourth deployment, to
Afghanistan.
"I kind of sympathize for him, being gone, being sent over there four
times," Beau Britt, who lives across the street. "I can understand
he's probably quite wracked mentally, so I just hope that things are
justified in court. I hope it goes OK."
Browne said his client was injured twice while deployed to Iraq. He
suffered a concussion in a vehicle accident caused by an improvised
explosive device, he said, and sustained a battle-related injury
requiring surgery that removed part of one foot. Browne said his
client was "highly decorated."
Browne said when the 11-year veteran heard he was being sent to
Afghanistan late last year, he did not want to go.
"He wasn't thrilled about going on another deployment," Browne said.
"He was told he wasn't going back, and then he was told he was going."
Bales and his wife purchased the Lake Tapps home in 2005, according to
records. The home was placed on the market Monday, the day after the
attack, and was listed at $229,000. Overflowing boxes were piled on
the front porch, and a U.S. flag leaned against the siding.
On Feb. 1 he
was assigned to a base in the Panjwai District, near Kandahar, to work
with a village stability force that pairs special operations troops
with villagers to help provide neighborhood security.
On March 10, the day before the shooting spree, Browne said the
soldier saw his friend's leg blown off. Browne said his client's
family provided him with that information, which has not been
independently verified.
Officials said Bales was wearing a NATO forces uniform when he moved
through the nearby villages of Alkozai and Balandi, barging into homes
and opening fire on those inside, then burning some of the bodies.
Nine of those killed were children. Eleven of the dead were from a
single family.
A surveillance video captured by a blimp that surveys the area around
the base shows that the soldier later approached the south gate of the
base with an Afghan shawl covering the weapon in his hands, according
to an Afghan official who was shown the footage by his U.S.
counterparts.
In the video, the man walks up to the base, lays down the weapon and
raises his arms in surrender.
The sergeant's family says they saw no signs of aggression or anger.
"They were totally shocked," by accounts of the massacre, Browne said.
"He's never said anything antagonistic about Muslims. He's in general
very mild-mannered."
The identification of the shooter quickly elicited a variety of
reactions throughout Twitter. Some used social media to condemn Bales
and called him a terrorist. Others called him a war hero who should
not have been deployed to Afghanistan after serving three tours in
Iraq. Others offered prayers for him and his family.
Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616