Families of Arsal captives on a continuous sit-in

Lebanon News
02-09-2014 | 03:02
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Families of Arsal captives on a continuous sit-in
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
4min
Families of Arsal captives on a continuous sit-in
Families of the Lebanese troops who were kidnapped in Arsal blocked on Tuesday the Qalamoun road, that links Tripoli to Beirut, in both directions and called on the concerned authorities to exert greater efforts to secure the release of the soldiers who remain in captivity.

The families also blocked the Mhammara road in both directions as well as the Chaat-Baalbek road, calling for intensive efforts to release the Lebanese captives.

Relatives of kidnapped soldiers also blocked on Monday the Qalamoun road in both directions as well as the roads of al-Mhammara, Wadi al-Jamous, al-Abdeh and the maritime road of Akkar.         

On Sunday, Lebanon's military said an al-Qaeda-linked Syrian rebel group released five members of the Lebanese security forces captured earlier this month in a cross-border raid.                          

The men were taken hostage when militants from Syria took over the Lebanese border town of Arsal for five days before withdrawing toward the  Syrian frontier, taking with them Lebanese soldiers and policemen as hostages. The clashes were the most dangerous spillover of violence from the civil war in neighboring Syria.                              

The state-run National News Agency said Sunday that the Nusra Front, al-Qaeda's Syrian affiliate, freed the five men late Saturday. The Lebanese army confirmed their release in a statement.                         

While the release of the five men provided a degree of relief, concerns remain about the troops and policemen still in captivity. On Sunday, the families of the men still being held burned tires to block two highways in the Bekaa Valley near Arsal, demanding their release.       

Syria's civil war has had a massive impact on Lebanon over the past three years, damaging the economy, inundating the country with more than 1 million refugees, undermining security and sending sectarian tensions soaring.                                 

Many Lebanese Sunni Muslims support the predominantly Sunni rebels seeking to overthrow President Bashar Assad, while Shiites largely back the Syrian government.                          

Lebanon's sectarian tensions have been further stoked by the direct military intervention in the Syrian conflict by Hezbollah, which has dispatched fighters to help bolster the Syrian military; aid that has proven critical in keeping Assad in power.                                  

The Nusra Front, a Sunni extremist group, played upon those tensions in a statement posted online Sunday. It said it freed the Lebanese soldiers because they are Sunnis, and told Lebanon's Sunni community that the men's release is "proof of our love for you since you are our family." 
                           
The al-Qaeda affiliate also accused the Lebanese army of being "an obedient tool" of Hezbollah, and warning Sunnis that the Shiite group "is conspiring against you and wants the Sunni youth to fight for it."                               


LBCI/AP            

Lebanon News

Arsal

captives

continuous

sit-in

LBCI Next
Lebanon’s State Security hails troops’ efforts in new year security plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More