REPORT: US ship MV Cape Ray equipped to destroy Syria’s chemical arsenal

News Bulletin Reports
03-01-2014 | 04:07
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
REPORT: US ship MV Cape Ray equipped to destroy Syria’s chemical arsenal
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
REPORT: US ship MV Cape Ray equipped to destroy Syria’s chemical arsenal

The American cargo ship, MV Cape Ray has become ready to embark on an unprecedented mission to destroy Syria's chemical agents at sea, with special machinery installed on board, according to Agence France Presse.

The ship is currently docked at a shipyard in a port at Naval Station Norfolk Base in Virginia.  

Under a deal brokered by Russia and the United States, Syria was supposed to remove its key chemical weapons components by the end of 2013.  

But the country's raging civil war, logistical problems and bad weather have held up plans to move chemical agents out of Syria to the port of Latakia, according to the joint UN-Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) mission overseeing the effort.

Medecins Sans Frontieres

Five staff members of the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) were taken from their house in northern Syria on Thursday evening and have been out of contact since then, the aid group said in a statement on Friday.

MSF did not specify the nationality of the staff, their roles, or which group took them, but said it was "in contact with all the relevant stakeholders" and trying to re-establish contact with the staff.
   
The group, know for sending doctors to hard-to-reach conflict zones, said the staff were allegedly taken for questioning.

The government of President Bashar al-Assad still controls some pockets of land in northern Syria but rebels fighting for his overthrow, including hardline Islamist factions, have taken swathes of territory.
  
MSF is not sanctioned by Damascus to distribute aid in Syria but it does operate in rebel-held areas. The statement said its doctors work in six hospitals and four health centers in the north of Syria.

Syria's 2 1/2 year civil war started after Assad's forces cracked down on pro-democracy protests leading to an armed revolt which has left more than 100,000 dead.
   
A United Nations document said in November that 12 U.N. staff and 32 staff or volunteers of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent have been killed since March 2011, when the crisis started, and 21 U.N. staff remained in detention.


REUTERS


To watch Nicole Hajal's report, please click on the video above.

News Bulletin Reports

equipped

destroy

Syria’s

chemical

arsenal

LBCI Next
2025 in Lebanon: LBCI reflects on a year of challenges, coverage, and coexistence
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More