Military sources reported to LBCI on Wednesday that the military operation in the Lebanese border town of Arsal has come to an end, stressing that Lebanese Armed Forces succeeded in taking control of the area.
The Army Command had earlier declared that clashes erupted between Lebanese Armed Forces and Syrian gunmen in the mountainous region of Arsal, northeastern Lebanon, leaving 5 soldiers injured. Sources told LBCI that the number of injuries has risen to seven, noting that reinforcements have been called into town, where army units are still pursuing the gunmen. The injured soldiers were transported to the Universal Hospital in Ras Baalbeck and to other hospitals in the region. Sources also stated that 2 gunmen were arrested in the raid of a warehouse in Arsal's al-Rahwa region, stressing that soldiers are still combing the said region to arrest other fugitives. Communities on the Lebanese side of the Syrian border dominated by Sunni Muslims have become safe havens for Syrian rebels battling the rule of Syrian President Bashar Assad. It is one way that the Syrian conflict has been expanding into Lebanon. The conflict has exacerbated tensions between Lebanon's Sunni and Shiite Muslims, and prompted shadowy groups to conduct attacks that have killed dozens this year. Later, the Baalbek-based Ahrar al-Sunna Brigade claimed responsibility for the ambush set up against the Lebanese army unit in mountainous region of Arsal. For the full report, please click on the VIDEO above