REPORT: U.S. strikes in Syria won't be "shock and awe," top general says

News Bulletin Reports
16-09-2014 | 10:24
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
REPORT: U.S. strikes in Syria won't be "shock and awe," top general says
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
REPORT: U.S. strikes in Syria won't be "shock and awe," top general says
The United States is not preparing to unleash a "shock and awe" campaign of overwhelming airstrikes in Syria against Islamic State fighters, the top U.S. military officer said on Tuesday.        

"We will be prepared to strike ISIL targets in Syria that degrade ISIL's capabilities," General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, using the acronym for the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, the group's former name.        

"This won't look like a 'shock and awe' campaign because that's simply not how ISIL is organized. But it will be a persistent and sustainable campaign."
         
Earlier on Tuesday, a group monitoring the civil war said Islamic State fighters shot down a Syrian war plane using anti-aircraft guns, the first time the group has downed a military jet since declaring its cross-border caliphate in June.       

The plane came down outside Islamic State's stronghold of Raqqa city, 400 km (250 miles) northeast of Damascus, during air strikes on territory controlled by the group, a resident said.          

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group which gathers information from a network of activists on the ground, reported five air raids on Raqqa on Tuesday. Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the organization, cited sources close to Islamic State as saying the plane had been shot down.       

U.S. President Barack Obama last week authorized air strikes against Islamic State in Syria, potentially widening action against a group already being targeted by U.S. air strikes in Iraq.           

The Syrian air force has been bombing Islamic State-controlled territory in the provinces of Raqqa and Deir al-Zor on a near-daily basis since the group seized the Iraqi city of Mosul in June.          

Syria has offered to join a coalition the United States is assembling to fight Islamic State, but Western governments see President Bashar al-Assad as part of the problem and have ruled out the idea of such cooperation.          


REUTERS



To watch Dalal Mawad's report, please click on the VIDEO above

News Bulletin Reports

strikes

Syria

won't

"shock

awe,"

general

LBCI Next
2025 in Lebanon: LBCI reflects on a year of challenges, coverage, and coexistence
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More