REPORT: Relatives of the abducted urge Hezbollah's Nasrallah to secure release of troops

News Bulletin Reports
26-11-2014 | 05:58
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
REPORT: Relatives of the abducted urge Hezbollah's Nasrallah to secure release of troops
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
4min
REPORT: Relatives of the abducted urge Hezbollah's Nasrallah to secure release of troops
Relatives of Lebanese soldiers who were kidnapped during clashes with armed groups in the mountainous region of Arsal granted Lebanese authorities until Friday before launching escalatory measures

The relatives said from Riad El-Soleh Square that the release of Hezbollah fighter Imad Loubnan Ayyad on Tuesday was a "great shock for them."

They also stated that Lebanese authorities are not holding serious negotiations, urging the Secretary General of Hezbollah Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah to secure the release of the abducted troops.


On Tuesday November 26, Hezbollah officials announced that the group managed to secure the release of one of its fighters who had been in the custody of Syrian groups.

A statement said that captive Imad Loubnan Ayyad was freed at noon following weeks of negotiations, adding that his release was in exchange for 2 gunmen who were in Hezbollah’s custody.

The captives' relatives have been staging sit-ins and blocking roads in order to urge the release of the troops who were kidnapped by militants from the Islamic State and the al-Nusra Front in the border town of Arsal back in August.

The al-Nusra Front released on Saturday (September 20) a video depicting the execution of the Lebanese soldier Mohammad Hamieh with a bullet to the head. The video also showed Lebanese soldier Ali al-Bazzal pleading his family to act or else he would face execution.

In the same regard, Turkey's Anatolia news agency quoted on Saturday (September 06) a commander of the Islamic State as saying that the group had executed one of the captured Lebanese Armed Forces soldiers for trying to escape.

"LAF soldier Abbas Medlej tried to escape from prison and after he attempted to open fire at IS members, we took control of the situation by slaughtering him," the Islamic State- Qalamoun branch said in a statement.

Also on August 28, the Islamic State posted photos and a video online depicting a militant beheading a blindfolded hostage who was identified as Lebanese Armed Forces Sergeant Ali al-Sayyed.

On Sunday (August 31), Lebanon's military said an al-Qaeda-linked Syrian rebel group released five members of the Lebanese security forces captured earlier in August in a cross-border raid.

The men were taken hostage when militants from Syria took over the Lebanese border town of Arsal for five days before withdrawing toward the Syrian frontier, taking with them Lebanese soldiers and policemen as hostages.

The clashes were the most dangerous spillover of violence from the civil war in neighboring Syria.

The clashes flared up when Syrian gunmen deployed across the region after the Lebanese Armed Forces arrested Imad Jomaa at a checkpoint.

The detention of Imad Jomaa, the leader of the Fajr al-Islam Brigade, had caused security tension in the border town of Arsal, claiming the lives of 20 soldiers and leaving 86 others injured.

While the release of the five men provided a degree of relief, concerns remain about the troops and policemen still in captivity.


To watch Bassam Abou Zeid's report, please click on the video above.

News Bulletin Reports

Relatives

abducted

Hezbollah's

Nasrallah

secure

release

troops

LBCI Next
2025 in Lebanon: LBCI reflects on a year of challenges, coverage, and coexistence
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More