Syrian charge d'affaires in London resigns as shelling of Aleppo continues

World News
30-07-2012 | 04:17
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Syrian charge d'affaires in London resigns as shelling of Aleppo continues
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
35min
Syrian charge d'affaires in London resigns as shelling of Aleppo continues

Shelling continued Sunday on several neighborhoods in the city of Aleppo controlled by rebels at a time when the Syrian government announced it had "purged" the district of Salahhedine and inflicted "great losses" upon the rebels, a claim which opposition activists dispute.    

On the other hand, SANA reported that an armed terrorist group tried to infiltrate from Jordan to Syrian and from Lebanon to Syria in Rif Talkalakh in Homs.     

Meanwhile, AFP reported that following 10 hours of combats, the Free Syrian Army took over a strategic point at the Adnan checkpoint, northwest of Aleppo, which allowed it to link the city to the Turkish border. AFP added that dozens were killed from both sides and tanks and armored vehicles were seized.

Separately, the British Foreign Office announced on Monday that the Syrian Chargé d'Affaires in London, Khaled al-Ayoubi, has resigned.

"Mr al-Ayoubi has told us that he is no longer willing to represent a regime that has committed such violent and oppressive acts against its own people, and is therefore unable to continue in his position," a Foreign Office statement said.   

Al-Ayoubi was the most senior Syrian diplomat serving in London, it added.

Earlier on Monday, the National Syrian Council accused the Syrian regime on Monday of carrying out a “genocide” in Maadameyat al-Sham.      

The council confirmed in a statement that pro-regime forces under the command of Maher and Adnan Assad are shelling the town brutally, as they have imposed a blockade on the city.      

The “Free Syrian Army” suggested a “national rescue project” stipulating the establishment of a Higher Defense Council that would be in charge of forming a presidential council made of six military and political figures. This council would manage the transition phase in Syria following the fall of President Assad.   

In the latest defection news, a Turkish official announced that the deputy police chief of Syria's western Latakia city, a brigadier general, defected and fled to Turkey overnight with 11 other Syrian officers.     

The official said in addition to the officers, about 600 Syrians had crossed over into Turkey in the last 24 hours bringing the total number of Syrian refugees in Turkey to around 43,500 Syrian government forces battled rebels over one of their strongholds in the northern city of Aleppo on Monday, with each side claiming victory.      

Meanwhile, the Turkish army continued to strengthen its troops on the Syrian-Turkish border by sending missile batteries, tanks and combat machinery for the infantry south of the country.

International positions:


U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said on Sunday that Syrian President Bashar Assad's use of helicopter gunships to counter a civil uprising will prove to be "a nail in Assad's coffin,"            
While giving no indication that the Obama administration is contemplating military intervention, Panetta said it is increasingly clear that the Syrian crisis is deepening and that Assad is hastening his own demise.             

For his part, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius announced that France that will be assuming the Security Council’s rotating presidency  in August, will call for on foreign ministers to hold an emergency meeting to discuss the situation in Syria.  

In a brief press conference held in a hotel in Damascus, the head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria, General Babacar Gaye said that he saw with his own eyes “heavy shelling and major damages” in the cities of Homs and Rastan.

Also on Monday, Pope Benedict XVI's representative to Damascus, Archbishop Mario Zenari, urged religious leaders in Syria to call for an end to the violence, warning that the “cancer of conflict” was spreading across the country.


REUTERS/LBCI/AP
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More