Hearing set for US man behind anti-Muslim film

World News
07-11-2012 | 10:34
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Hearing set for US man behind anti-Muslim film
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
Hearing set for US man behind anti-Muslim film

More details could emerge Wednesday about the U.S. man behind an anti-Muslim film that led to violent protests across the Middle East.     

Mark Basseley Youssef faces a hearing on accusations that he violated the terms of his probation by lying about his identity.    

None of the eight alleged violations have to do with the content of the amateur film, "Innocence of Muslims," and what prompted Youssef to use at least two aliases after he was convicted in 2010 of bank fraud remains a mystery.     

The film depicts the Prophet Mohammad as "a religious fraud, pedophile and a womanizer."    

The hearing will give Youssef, 55, a chance to challenge any evidence gathered by federal authorities since his arrest in September, just weeks after he went into hiding when deadly violence erupted in Libya, Egypt, Iran and elsewhere in response to the movie.     

Some Muslims have demanded severe punishment for Youssef, with a Pakistani cabinet minister offering $100,000 to anyone who kills him.     

Federal authorities are seeking a two-year sentence for Youssef, who remains held without bail.     

Youssef had been sentenced to 21 months in prison for using more than a dozen aliases and opening about 60 bank accounts to conduct a check fraud scheme, prosecutors said.

After Youssef was released from prison, he was barred from using computers or the Internet for five years without approval from his probation officer.     

Federal authorities have said they believe Youssef is responsible for the film, but they haven't said whether he was the person who posted it online. He also wasn't supposed to use any name other than his true legal name without the prior written approval of his probation officer.     

At least three names have been associated with Youssef since the film trailer surfaced  Sam Bacile, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula and Youssef. Bacile was the name attached to the YouTube account that posted the video.     

Court documents show Youssef legally changed his name from Nakoula in 2002, though when he was tried, he identified himself as Nakoula. He wanted the name change because he believed Nakoula sounded like a girl's name, according to court documents.     

Among the violations Youssef denied were obtaining a fraudulent California driver's license, telling federal authorities that his role in the film was limited to writing the script and using the "Nakoula" name throughout his bank fraud case. Prosecutors recently sought transcripts from a pair of 2009 hearings in the bank fraud case where Youssef told two judges that his true name was Nakoula Basseley Nakoula. 


AP

Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More