News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
25
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
24
o
North
28
o
South
27
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Loobat Kadari
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
25
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
24
o
North
28
o
South
27
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
REPORT: Turkish riot police enter Istanbul Gezi Park
World News
11-06-2013 | 07:00
High views
Share
Share
6
min
REPORT: Turkish riot police enter Istanbul Gezi Park
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on protesters Tuesday to withdraw from central Istanbul's Gezi Park and said a wave of anti-government demonstrations was part of a deliberate attempt to damage Turkey's image and economy.
"I invite them to withdraw from the park and I ask this as prime minister," Erdogan told a parliamentary group meeting of his AK Party.
This as several dozens of Turkish riot police entered the Gezi Park in central Istanbul at the heart of two weeks of protests which have turned into nationwide anti-government demonstrations, an eyewitness said.
The riot police were gathered in an area on the fringes of the park and there were no immediate sign of them moving to take apart tents and shelters or remove banners and flags.
Hundreds of police in riot gear forced through barricades in Istanbul's central Taksim Square early Tuesday, pushing many of the protesters who had occupied the square for more than a week into a nearby park.
Police briefly fired tear gas canisters and rubber bullets prompting many of the protesters to flee the square into Gezi Park, where scores had been camping.
But there were running battles at one edge of the square between police and some groups of protesters who reportedly fired fireworks, firebombs and stones at police water cannons. Some witnesses claim that undercover agents are the ones responsible for throwing flammables at the police in a bid to create an alibi for an even heavier crackdown.
Police made frequent announcements through loudspeakers, asking the group to stop attacking police and saying they did not want to use tear gas, before then firing the tear gas. A water cannon could be seen dousing another police vehicle that was set alight by a firebomb.
The police clampdown on Taksim Square came on the 12th day of nationwide protests that were sparked by a violent police crackdown May 31 on a peaceful sit-in at a park in the square by people who were trying to prevent a redevelopment project that would replace the green space with a replica Ottoman Barracks.
The protests grew into wider demonstrations against what many see as Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian style of governing and his perceived attempts to impose a religious and conservative lifestyle in the country which has secular laws.
Erdogan, a devout Muslim, says he is committed to Turkey's secular laws and denies charges of autocracy.
Erdogan has escalated tensions by vowing to press ahead with the Taksim redevelopment plans, dismissing the protesters as fringe extremists and the protests as undemocratic plots to topple his government which was elected with 50 percent support.
He has called major pro-government rallies in Ankara and Istanbul this weekend to show that he too can get large numbers of his supporters out on the street.
Demonstrators had manned the barricades and prepared for a possible intervention when officers began massing in the area Tuesday morning.
Police took down large banners that had been hung by protesters on a building on the edge of the square.
They replaced them with a large Turkish flag and a banner with a picture of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the beloved founder of the secular republic 89 years ago after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.
Huseyin Avni Mutlu, the governor for Istanbul, said in a message issued on his Twitter account that the police operation was to dismount the banners hung on the building and at a monument on the square.
He said people occupying the park at the square would not be touched.
As police clashed with activists near a side of the square where construction as part of the redevelopment plans has already started, bulldozers and garbage trucks began cleaning up some of the barricades on the square and side streets.
A group of protesters was seen at another corner of the square, apparently trying to negotiate with police.
Some protesters were seen trying to build another small barricade on the square but were repelled by tear gas.
Protesters offered them antacid solution in bottles of spray to help protect them from the gas.
Hundreds of protesters remained inside Gezi Park, some still sleeping in tents, some eating breakfast handed out by volunteers.
Those affected by tear gas at Taksim were being helped to the medical station, with volunteers spraying milky white antacid solution onto their faces.
The gas later wafted into the park. People with only rudimentary protection like surgical masks were chocking and spluttering and others sprayed them with antacid.
One protester said he joined the protest in Gezi Park because his cousin was beaten by police during the initial clampdown that sparked the wider protests.
Another protester in the capital Ankara predicted the police clampdown on Taksim would make the demonstrators more resolute.
The government announced after a Cabinet meeting late Monday that Erdogan would meet with some of the peaceful Gezi Park protesters but that authorities would not allow "illegal" demonstrations to continue.
Before the police action, the protests appeared to be on the wane with the smallest number of demonstrators in the past 12 days gathering in Taksim on Monday night. The protesters occupying Gezi Park had remained, however.
Smaller protests occurred in Ankara too, with about 5,000 people demonstrating.
Police there have used water cannon and tear gas to break up demonstrations almost every night.
Three people have died and more than 5,000 have been treated for injuries or the effects of gas during the protests.
The government says 600 police officers have also been injured.
REUTERS/AP
For the full report, please click on the VIDEO above
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
World News
2026-03-11
Trump says to tap US strategic oil reserve 'a little bit'
World News
2026-03-11
Trump says to tap US strategic oil reserve 'a little bit'
0
World News
2026-04-19
UK PM says 'appalled' by arson attacks against Jewish sites in London
World News
2026-04-19
UK PM says 'appalled' by arson attacks against Jewish sites in London
0
World News
2026-02-04
Putin tells Xi Moscow-Beijing alliance 'stabilising' for world
World News
2026-02-04
Putin tells Xi Moscow-Beijing alliance 'stabilising' for world
0
World News
2026-01-12
Trump to meet Venezuela opposition leader Machado on Thursday: US official
World News
2026-01-12
Trump to meet Venezuela opposition leader Machado on Thursday: US official
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
2
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
3
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
4
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
5
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
6
Israel-Gaza War Updates
13:04
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
Israel-Gaza War Updates
13:04
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
7
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
8
Middle East News
12:33
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
Middle East News
12:33
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More