News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
27
o
Keserwan
28
o
Metn
28
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
30
o
South
29
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Morning Talk
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
29
o
Bekaa
27
o
Keserwan
28
o
Metn
28
o
Mount Lebanon
26
o
North
30
o
South
29
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
REPORT: Moscow says strikes on Syria army threaten US-Russia ceasefire plan
Breaking Headlines
18-09-2016 | 09:38
High views
Share
Share
REPORT: Moscow says strikes on Syria army threaten US-Russia ceasefire plan
6
min
REPORT: Moscow says strikes on Syria army threaten US-Russia ceasefire plan
Moscow stepped up its war of words with Washington on Sunday, saying air strikes by a U.S.-led coalition on the Syrian army threatened the implementation of a U.S.-Russian ceasefire plan for Syria and bordered on connivance with Islamic State.
The Russian Defense Ministry said on Saturday that U.S. jets had killed more than 60 Syrian soldiers in the eastern Syrian city of Deir al-Zor in four air strikes by two F-16s and two A-10s coming from the direction of Iraq.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitoring group with contacts across Syria, cited a military source at Deir al-Zor airport as saying at least 90 Syrian soldiers had been killed.
Russia's Foreign Ministry said in a strongly worded statement that the United States' position on the incident was "unconstructive and inarticulate".
"The actions of coalition pilots - if they, as we hope, were not taken on an order from Washington - are on the boundary between criminal negligence and connivance with Islamic State terrorists," the ministry said.
"We strongly urge Washington to exert the needed pressure on the illegal armed groups under its patronage to implement the ceasefire plan unconditionally. Otherwise the implementation of the entire package of the U.S.-Russian accords reached in Geneva on Sept. 9 may be jeopardized."
Russia has repeatedly called on the United States to push units of moderate Syrian opposition to separate from Islamic State and other "terrorist groups".
The Foreign Ministry said Saturday's incident was a result of Washington's "stubborn refusal" to cooperate with Moscow in fighting Islamic State, the Nusra Front - now renamed Jabhat Fatah al Sham - and "other terrorist groups".
The U.S. military said the coalition stopped the attacks against what it had believed to be Islamic State positions in northeast Syria after Russia informed it that Syrian military personnel and vehicles may have been hit.
Washington further unnerved Moscow when its envoy to the United Nations abruptly left her seat as the Russian representative took the floor to condemn the air strikes at an emergency U.S. Security Council meeting.
"We are reaching a really terrifying conclusion for the whole world: That the White House is defending Islamic State. Now there can be no doubts about that," Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said in comments aired by state TV.
The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, said Zakharova should be embarrassed by that claim. Russia's U.N. representative Vitaly Churkin said Russia had no "specific evidence" of the U.S. colluding with Islamic State militants.
The diplomatic row is likely to further complicate the delivery of humanitarian aid to Syria, including its largest pre-war city of Aleppo where the situation remains especially tense and Monday's fragile truce has been repeatedly violated.
The U.N. told Reuters aid trucks that had been expected to move to Aleppo on Sunday morning were once again being delayed.
"It's a tough moment," one top aid official in Geneva told Reuters. "The U.N. convoys are highly politicized."
CEASEFIRE
Russia's Defense Ministry said conditions in Syria were deteriorating, as fighting escalated in parts of the country where the ceasefire, which is set to expire late on Sunday, should apply.
Heavy clashes continued on Sunday east of Damascus in the rebel-held Jobar suburb between rebels and Syrian government troops and allied forces, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and a witness said.
Sunday is the first day of the new school year. Residents living near Jobar and the wider Eastern Ghouta suburbs told Reuters they were afraid of the mortars and fighting.
The al-Rahman Legion, part of a Free Syrian Army rebel alliance in the Damascus suburbs, said in an online statement its fighters had destroyed a Syrian government tank and killed soldiers after government forces tried to storm Jobar for the second time this week.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least six people died and many were seriously injured when helicopters dropped barrel bombs onto a town in a rebel-held part of the southern Syrian province of Daraa on Sunday.
Insurgents say they only reluctantly accepted the initial deal, which they believe is skewed against them, because it could relieve the dire humanitarian situation in besieged areas they control, and blamed Russia for undermining the truce.
"The truce, as we have warned, and we told the (U.S.) State Department - will not hold out," a senior rebel official in Aleppo said, pointing to the continued presence of a U.N. aid convoy at the Turkish border awaiting permission to enter.
Rebels have also accused Russia of using the ceasefire to give the Syrian army and allied Shi'ite armed groups a chance to regroup and deploy forces ready for their own offensives.
Islamic State is excluded from the truce. U.S.-led and Damascus-led operations against the militants have continued throughout the ceasefire on various fronts.
On Sunday, Islamic State said in an online statement it had shot down a warplane in Deir al-Zor with "anti-aircraft" guns, in the same area as the U.S.-led coalition strikes hit the Syrian military on Saturday.
The Syrian military confirmed the loss of a warplane which it said had been carrying out an operation against the militants.
REUTERS
To watch the full report, please click on the video above.
Breaking Headlines
US
Syria
Ceasefire
Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Recommended For You
d-none hideMe
0
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-04-08
Over 20 Israeli warplanes over Lebanon as authorities urge caution: Sources to LBCI
Lebanon News
2026-04-08
Over 20 Israeli warplanes over Lebanon as authorities urge caution: Sources to LBCI
0
Middle East News
06:44
Trump: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon
Middle East News
06:44
Trump: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon
0
Middle East News
05:37
New Syria-Iraq crude pipeline still years away: Sources to Reuters
Middle East News
05:37
New Syria-Iraq crude pipeline still years away: Sources to Reuters
0
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
2
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
Lebanon News
07:30
Israeli minister calls for escalation with Lebanon, says threats must be ‘crushed’ in Beirut
3
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
Lebanon News
08:04
LBCI Exclusive footage shows massive fire raging through Aitou forest
4
Israel-Gaza War Updates
13:04
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
Israel-Gaza War Updates
13:04
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
5
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
6
Middle East News
10:18
Hamas sources tell AFP Kushner to meet Hamas leadership in Egypt
Middle East News
10:18
Hamas sources tell AFP Kushner to meet Hamas leadership in Egypt
7
Israel-Gaza War Updates
09:33
Trump envoy Kushner discusses Gaza with Egypt's Sisi: Presidency
Israel-Gaza War Updates
09:33
Trump envoy Kushner discusses Gaza with Egypt's Sisi: Presidency
8
World News
10:47
Strikes kill 12 in Russia and Ukraine
World News
10:47
Strikes kill 12 in Russia and Ukraine
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More