Foreign Ministry says Syria not in civil war, Syrian forces "cleanse" Haffeh of rebel fighters

Breaking Headlines
13-06-2012 | 05:15
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Foreign Ministry says Syria not in civil war, Syrian forces "cleanse" Haffeh of rebel fighters
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
Foreign Ministry says Syria not in civil war, Syrian forces "cleanse" Haffeh of rebel fighters
Syrian television said on Wednesday that the forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad had restored calm and security in Haffeh after they "cleansed it of armed terrorist groups", a term authorities use to describe rebels fighting Assad.               

Syria's Foreign Ministry said earlier on Wednesday that United Nations peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous's comments that Syria is now in a civil war was an unrealistic description of the conflict.                  

"Talk of civil war in Syria is not consistent with reality... What is happening in Syria is a war against armed groups that choose terrorism," Syrian state news agency SANA quoted a Foreign Ministry statement as saying.                          

In international positions, French Minister of Foreign Affairs that France will propose making Annan’s plan obligatory by using the chapter 7 provision at the UN. He also added that Paris supports Annan’s proposal for a small contact group on Syria. To read more, click here.

Paris had earlier demanded a “full stop” of arms exports to the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. 

China said Wednesday that the situation in Syria had reached a “critical juncture” and expressed its “great concern”.      

In a joint news conference held with his Iranian counterpart Ali Akbar Salehi in Tehran, Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov defended his country's sale of arms to Syria... To read more, click here.

British Minister of Foreign Affairs William Hague said that he will hold talks with the Russian foreign minister on Thursday on the implementation of Annan’s plan.            

Meanwhile, the Turkish foreign ministry reported that some 2,000 Syrian refugees fleeing violence in Syria have crossed into Turkey in the last 48 hours.          
In the field, Syrian troops renewed violent shelling of Homs in a push to regain control of rebel-held territories, while rebels  withdrew from Haffeh, under pressure of heavy bombardment, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.                

The observatory added that al-Khalediya neighborhood has been coming under shelling since the morning by pro-government forces.     

In related news, the state news agency, SANA, said "an armed terrorist group" killed the former head of the Syrian Football Union, Marwan Arafat. SANA said Arafat was attacked as he returned from Jordan to the neighboring southern province of Daraa. It said his wife was critically injured, but offered no other details.

Breaking Headlines

Ministry

Syria

civil

Syrian

forces

"cleanse"

Haffeh

rebel

fighters

LBCI Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More