PSP leader MP Jumblatt: No landfill will be established in Siblin

Lebanon News
14-01-2015 | 07:12
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
PSP leader MP Jumblatt: No landfill will be established in Siblin
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
PSP leader MP Jumblatt: No landfill will be established in Siblin
Environment Minister Mohammed Mashnouq said on Wednesday that he agreed with several Lebanese officials, including Progressive Socialist Party leader MP Walid Jumblatt, that a planned protest against the Naameh landfill should be postponed.

“We agreed to adjourn any protest regarding the Naameh landfill,” Mashnouq told reporters following talks at Jumblatt's residence in Beirut's Clemenceau region.

In addition to al-Mashnouq and Jumblatt, the meeting was attended by Ministers Wael Abou Faour, Ali Hassan Khalil and Akram Chehayyeb, MP Talal Arslan and the head of the Council for Development and Reconstruction, Nabil al-Jisr.

“The plan that was approved by the cabinet abides by high environmental standards,” Mashnouq added.

On Tuesday, the head of the municipality of Naameh said that the residents of the town are planning to hold a demonstration near the landfill whose closure was extended by the government.

Cabinet members approved the plan to extend the closure of the landfill for three months and for another three months if the waste treatment plan was not implemented by then.

The deadline for the end of the dump's works expires on Saturday. Jumblatt had previously said that the road to Naameh would be closed in protest.

For his part, Jumblatt said that no landfill will be established in the region of Siblin, adding that environmental reforms will be done for Siblin’s waste treatment facility throughout 2015.

Jumblatt concluded by saying that the political parties and the civil society put pressure on the government to reach a clear plan over the waste treatment dossier.

Lebanon News

leader

Jumblatt:

landfill

established

Siblin

LBCI Next
Lebanon’s State Security hails troops’ efforts in new year security plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More