News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
23
o
Bekaa
21
o
Keserwan
24
o
Metn
24
o
Mount Lebanon
22
o
North
25
o
South
25
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
2:30pm news
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
23
o
Bekaa
21
o
Keserwan
24
o
Metn
24
o
Mount Lebanon
22
o
North
25
o
South
25
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube pull Trump posts over coronavirus misinformation
Middle East
06-08-2020 | 04:16
High views
Share
Share
4
min
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube pull Trump posts over coronavirus misinformation
Facebook Inc on Wednesday took down a post by U.S. President Donald Trump, which the company said violated its rules against sharing misinformation about the coronavirus.
The post contained a video clip, from an interview with Fox & Friends earlier in the day, in which Trump claimed that children are "almost immune" to COVID-19.
"This video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19, which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation," a Facebook spokesman said.
A tweet containing the video that was posted by the Trump campaign's @TeamTrump account and shared by the president was also later hidden by Twitter Inc for breaking its COVID-19 misinformation rules.
A Twitter spokesman said the @TeamTrump account owner would be required to remove the tweet before they could tweet again.
YouTube, through a spokesman, said it had also pulled down the video for violating its COVID-19 misinformation policies. However, the original interview remains available on the Fox News page on the platform. YouTube did not immediately respond to requests to clarify which videos were taken down.
The Trump campaign accused the companies of bias against the president, saying Trump had stated a fact. "Social media companies are not the arbiters of truth," said Courtney Parella, a spokeswoman with the campaign.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has said that while adults make up most of the known COVID-19 cases to date, some children and infants have been sick with the disease and they can also transmit it to others.
An analysis by the World Health Organization of 6 million infections between Feb. 24 and July 12 found that the share of children aged 5-14 years was about 4.6%.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. During a briefing at the White House, Trump repeated his claim that the virus had little impact on children.
"Children handle it very well," he told reporters. "If you look at the numbers, in terms of mortality, fatalities ... for children under a certain age ... their immune systems are very very strong and very powerful. They seem to be able to handle it very well and that's according to every statistical claim."
It was the first time Facebook had removed a Trump post for coronavirus misinformation, the company's spokesman said.
It also appeared to be the first reported instance of the social media company taking down a post from the president for breaching its misinformation rules.
Twitter has taken down a post retweeted by Trump pointing to a misleading viral video about the coronavirus, but left up clips of the president suggesting scientists should investigate using light or disinfectant on patients.
Twitter said those remarks expressed a wish for treatment, rather than a literal call for action.
It also left up a March post from Tesla Inc's outspoken CEO Elon Musk stating that "kids are essentially immune" from the virus.
Facebook has taken heat from lawmakers and its own employees in recent months for not taking action on inflammatory posts by Trump.
The company has previously removed ads from Trump's election campaign for breaking misinformation rules, in that case around a national census.
It also took down both Trump posts and campaign ads that showed a red inverted triangle, a symbol the Nazis used to identify political prisoners, for violating its policy against organized hate.
REUTERS
Breaking Headlines
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Donald Trump
coronavirus
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
World News
07:26
Rubio says Trump 'deeply committed' to Hungarian PM Orban's 'success'
World News
07:26
Rubio says Trump 'deeply committed' to Hungarian PM Orban's 'success'
0
World News
2025-12-11
Proposals on territorial concessions by Ukraine sent to Trump: Merz
World News
2025-12-11
Proposals on territorial concessions by Ukraine sent to Trump: Merz
0
Lebanon News
2026-01-29
Berri halts live broadcast amid parliament salary dispute
Lebanon News
2026-01-29
Berri halts live broadcast amid parliament salary dispute
0
News Bulletin Reports
2025-12-31
Risks to deposits: Lebanon's banks push back against financial gap law
News Bulletin Reports
2025-12-31
Risks to deposits: Lebanon's banks push back against financial gap law
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
04:38
German President Steinmeier meets Lebanon's President Aoun at Baabda Palace—Video
Lebanon News
04:38
German President Steinmeier meets Lebanon's President Aoun at Baabda Palace—Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-02-14
Future Movement supporters mark Rafic Hariri anniversary, call for Saad Hariri's return to politics
Lebanon News
2026-02-14
Future Movement supporters mark Rafic Hariri anniversary, call for Saad Hariri's return to politics
0
Lebanon News
2026-02-01
Israel strikes vehicle in Doueir-Wadi Aaba in South Lebanon—Video
Lebanon News
2026-02-01
Israel strikes vehicle in Doueir-Wadi Aaba in South Lebanon—Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-01-29
Berri halts live broadcast amid parliament salary dispute
Lebanon News
2026-01-29
Berri halts live broadcast amid parliament salary dispute
0
Lebanon News
2026-01-10
Fairuz receives condolences for death of son Hali Rahbani—Video
Lebanon News
2026-01-10
Fairuz receives condolences for death of son Hali Rahbani—Video
0
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
Pope Leo XIV urges leaders to hear their people’s cry for peace, singles out Lebanon (video)
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
Pope Leo XIV urges leaders to hear their people’s cry for peace, singles out Lebanon (video)
0
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
At Beirut waterfront, Pope Leo XIV rides through cheering crowds (video)
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
At Beirut waterfront, Pope Leo XIV rides through cheering crowds (video)
0
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
At Beirut Port, Pope Leo XIV offers silent prayer for blast victims (video)
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
At Beirut Port, Pope Leo XIV offers silent prayer for blast victims (video)
0
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
Pope Leo XIV opens hospital visit with Arabic ’Sabah el-kheir’ — Video
Lebanon News
2025-12-02
Pope Leo XIV opens hospital visit with Arabic ’Sabah el-kheir’ — Video
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
Lebanon News
14:31
Israeli military says it struck Islamic Jihad gunmen in eastern Lebanon
Lebanon News
14:31
Israeli military says it struck Islamic Jihad gunmen in eastern Lebanon
2
News Bulletin Reports
12:55
Securing the Litani: Lebanese Army outlines weapons control achievements and next steps
News Bulletin Reports
12:55
Securing the Litani: Lebanese Army outlines weapons control achievements and next steps
3
Lebanon News
11:35
Lebanon’s Berri insists elections must be held on schedule
Lebanon News
11:35
Lebanon’s Berri insists elections must be held on schedule
4
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Lebanon’s Cabinet faces crunch decision on public sector pay raises
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Lebanon’s Cabinet faces crunch decision on public sector pay raises
5
Lebanon News
07:58
Quintet Committee holds preparatory meeting for February 24 Lebanese Army conference: Sources to LBCI
Lebanon News
07:58
Quintet Committee holds preparatory meeting for February 24 Lebanese Army conference: Sources to LBCI
6
News Bulletin Reports
12:49
Israel wary as second round of Washington-Tehran nuclear talks approaches
News Bulletin Reports
12:49
Israel wary as second round of Washington-Tehran nuclear talks approaches
7
Lebanon News
04:38
German President Steinmeier meets Lebanon's President Aoun at Baabda Palace—Video
Lebanon News
04:38
German President Steinmeier meets Lebanon's President Aoun at Baabda Palace—Video
8
World News
10:45
Trump tells Hamas to proceed with 'Full and Immediate' disarmament
World News
10:45
Trump tells Hamas to proceed with 'Full and Immediate' disarmament
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More