Sep 27 2013 - 03:18
Back

Press Digest for Friday September 27, 2013

Press Digest for Friday September 27, 2013 Lebanon, news ,lbci ,أخبار September,Friday,Digest,Press,
episodes
Press Digest for Friday September 27, 2013
Lebanon News

The following are summaries of today's major stories published in the Arabic press. LBCI does not edit press digest articles for content, giving English-language readers insight into the various views expressed in newspapers across the Arab world.
advertisement

An-Nahar Daily published an article on Friday whereby it reported that, according to confidential documents made available to the newspaper, the Telecommunications Ministry is intentionally avoiding meeting the requests of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, therefore hindering its work.    

In this context, well-informed sources quoted STL officials as saying that they do not recognize the reasons leading Telecommunications Minister Nicolas Sehnaoui from cooperating with the tribunal.      

The Minister of the Displaced Alaa Eddine Terro stressed that MP Walid Jumblatt is neither affiliated with March 14 nor with the March 8 forces, noting that Jumblatt was the one to propose the 8-8-8 formula for the new cabinet as a solution for the political crisis, but Hezbollah and its allies in the March 8 coalition rejected it.    

In a statement to al-Joumhouria Daily, Terro denied that a governmental formula had been prepared, stressing that discussions are underway between all the parties in order to reach a new solution that satisfies all blocs.    

“If all the parties agree to form a new cabinet with a blocking third, we will not object,” he noted.    

On another note, the minister said that the meeting expected to be held between MP Jumblatt and the head of the Change and Reform bloc MP Michel Aoun depends on the developments in the country.        

The Director of Lebanon's office of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) Ann Dismorr explained that several reasons lie behind the conflicting reports that emerged regarding the number of Palestinian refugees who fled Syria.

Dismorr said that the UNRWA does not register the Palestinian refugees, whose number varies between 54 and 90 thousand people, since their files remained in the agency’s office in Syria.    

In a statement to an-Nahar Daily, Ann Dismorr revealed that the accurate number of the Palestinian refugees is close to 45 thousand, including 6 thousand children who were enrolled in the agency’s 69 schools, pointing out that the number of the Palestinians residing in Lebanon increased by 16%.    

The agency’s director praised the cooperation of the Lebanese General Security and the administration of the al-Masnaa crossing, as well as the help the of the Social Affairs Ministry, calling on the Lebanese authorities to keep the borders open.    

However, Dimsorr stressed that the Palestinians who came from Syrian camps enjoy health care services, which had prevented diseases from spreading.

Lebanon's ambassador to the United Nations Nawaf Salam said that the meeting held by the International Support Group for Lebanon is a crucial political message since it stressed the importance of the statement issued by the UN Security Council on the 10th of July 2013.            

The said statement expressed the 5 permanent member states’ support for the dissociation policy, the Baabda Declaration, the implementation of UN resolution 1701, boosting the mission of the United Nations Interim Forces in Lebanon and assisting Lebanon in facing the challenges resulting from the Syrian war, mainly the influx of Syrian refugees.              

In a statement to as-Safir Daily, Nawaf Salam said that all the concerned UN agencies and organizations stressed the need to support Lebanon’s stability and security, calling on the Lebanese authorities to take advantage of much needed international support.
Read also