News
Latest News
news bulletin
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Other News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
22
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
23
o
North
28
o
South
27
o
Live
Video
Audio
Schedule
shows
العربية
watching now
Thawrat AlFalahin
SUBSCRIBE
Home
Notification
Live
Video
Audio
shows
Beirut
28
o
Bekaa
22
o
Keserwan
27
o
Metn
27
o
Mount Lebanon
23
o
North
28
o
South
27
o
News
Programs
The News
Breaking Headlines
Israel-Gaza War Updates
Variety and Tech
Sports News
Middle East News
World News
Lebanon News
Press Highlights
Lebanon Economy
News Bulletin Reports
Programs
Series
Movies
Documentaries
Variety
Comedy
Talk Show
News Bulletin
Breaking News
Latest News
Highlighted News
Most Read
Videos
العربية
Watch the latest programs and the latest developments on your favorite screen
Shows
Join millions of followers
Who We Are
Contact Us
Advertise With Us
Careers
Channel frequencies
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Pentagon warns against unilateral military action in northeast Syria after Turkish announcement
Breaking Headlines
13-12-2018 | 04:20
High views
Share
Share
5
min
Pentagon warns against unilateral military action in northeast Syria after Turkish announcement
The Pentagon said on Wednesday that unilateral military action into northeast Syria by any party would be "unacceptable," after Turkey said it would launch a new military operation in the region within days to target Kurdish militia fighters.
Ankara and Washington have long been at odds over Syria, where the United States has backed the YPG Kurdish militia in the fight against Islamic State insurgents.
Turkey says the YPG is a terrorist organization and an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which has waged an insurgency against the state in southeastern Turkey for 34 years.
Within hours of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan's announcement of the planned operation, the United States warned that any unilateral military action would undermine the shared interest of securing the border between Syria and Turkey in a sustainable way.
"Unilateral military action into northeast Syria by any party, particularly as U.S. personnel may be present or in the vicinity, is of grave concern," Commander Sean Robertson, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement.
"We would find any such actions unacceptable," he added.
Turkey has already intervened to sweep YPG fighters from territory west of the Euphrates in military campaigns over the past two years, but has not gone east of the river - partly to avoid direct confrontation with U.S. forces.
But Erdogan's patience with Washington over Syria - specifically a deal to clear the YPG from the town of Manbij, just west of the Euphrates - seems to have worn thin.
"We will start the operation to clear the east of the Euphrates from separatist terrorists in a few days. Our target is never U.S. soldiers," Erdogan said at a speech at a defense industry summit in Ankara.
"This step will allow for the path to a political solution to be opened and for healthier cooperation."
Turkey has repeatedly voiced frustration about what it says are delays in the implementation of the Manbij deal, saying last month that the agreement should be fully carried out by the end of this year.
The Pentagon said coordination and consultation between the United States and Turkey was the only way to address security concerns and that Washington was focused on working closely with Ankara.
"We believe this dialogue is the only way to secure the border area in a sustainable manner, and believe that uncoordinated military operations will undermine that shared interest," Robertson said.
He added that while the United States was fully committed to Turkey's border security, it also remained committed to working with the Syrian Democratic Forces, which includes Kurdish YPG fighters, to defeat Islamic State militants.
Turkish and U.S. troops began joint patrols near Manbij last month, but that cooperation has also been complicated as Turkey has shelled Kurdish fighters to the east of the Euphrates.
Earlier this year, the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) temporarily suspended an offensive against Islamic State after Turkish shelling of northern Syria.
OBSERVATION POSTS
The Pentagon says it has about 2,000 troops in Syria.
Last month, the United States said would establish observation posts on the border between Kurdish-held northern Syria and Turkey after Turkish cross-border shelling killed four Kurdish fighters.
Three observation posts have now been set up, a U.S. official told Reuters on Wednesday. The official said the positions were clearly marked and any force attacking them "would definitely know they are attacking the United States".
Turkish officials held talks in Ankara this week with the U.S. special representative for Syria, Jim Jeffrey. An SDF military source said Jeffrey met the SDF leadership in northern Syria on Wednesday.
Erdogan said Turkey was the victim of a "stalling tactic" over Manbij and that Islamic State no longer posed a threat in Syria.
"Now, it's time to realize our decision to disperse the circles of terror east of the Euphrates. The fact that we have deep differences in perception with the United States is no secret," he said.
REUTERS
Breaking Headlines
Pentagon
US
Syria
Turkey
Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Recommended For You
d-none hideMe
0
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Breaking Headlines
2026-06-22
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Subscribe to our VOD
SUBSCRIBE
Our visitors readings
d-none hideMe
0
News Bulletin Reports
2026-08-03
Israel adds new conditions on Lebanon withdrawal ahead of Rome talks
News Bulletin Reports
2026-08-03
Israel adds new conditions on Lebanon withdrawal ahead of Rome talks
0
News Bulletin Reports
2026-03-17
Israel approves demolition of homes in southern Lebanon amid ongoing tensions
News Bulletin Reports
2026-03-17
Israel approves demolition of homes in southern Lebanon amid ongoing tensions
0
Lebanon News
2026-05-13
Lebanon Health Ministry: One killed, one injured in Israeli strike on car in Sidon
Lebanon News
2026-05-13
Lebanon Health Ministry: One killed, one injured in Israeli strike on car in Sidon
0
World News
2026-05-13
Zelensky urges Trump to raise Russian invasion during Xi summit
World News
2026-05-13
Zelensky urges Trump to raise Russian invasion during Xi summit
Videos
d-none hideMe
0
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
Lebanon News
2026-08-06
Lebanon-Israel talks: delegations arrive at US Embassy in Rome — Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-07-24
Residents begin returning to Zawtar el-Gharbiyeh, southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
Lebanon News
2026-07-20
Slotkin to LBCI: Lebanese army needs resources to confront Hezbollah, $36 million request submitted for special forces
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon’s ambassador to Washington: trilateral framework agreement first step toward restoring sovereignty
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Rubio on Lebanon-Israel framework agreement: 'beginning of the beginning,' more work needed
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-26
Lebanon, Israel sign trilateral framework agreement after Washington talks attended by Rubio: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
Lebanon News
2026-06-20
Israeli strikes renew on Choukine, Maifadoun, and Nabatieh al-Fawqa in southern Lebanon: Video
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
Lebanon News
2026-06-19
Massive Israeli strikes hit South Lebanon under ceasefire conditions
0
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Lebanon News
2026-06-16
Trump criticizes Israel’s Lebanon campaign, says war has gone on ‘too long’ and floats Syria role in conflict
Most read
d-none hideMe
24 hours
7 days
Month
1
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
News Bulletin Reports
13:00
Fears of renewed fighting force southern Lebanon residents to leave homes again
2
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
Lebanon News
06:32
President Aoun backs extending UNIFIL mandate, stresses need for international presence in south
3
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
08:44
UNIFIL reports surge in military activity in South Lebanon
4
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
Lebanon News
07:03
PM Salam: Lebanon insists on maintaining UN force in South Lebanon
5
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
Israel-Gaza War Updates
12:59
Eight Muslim countries condemn Israel's rejection of Trump's Gaza plan
6
Israel-Gaza War Updates
13:04
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
Israel-Gaza War Updates
13:04
US envoy Kushner meets Hamas leaders in Egypt: AFP
7
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
Lebanon News
05:28
MP Melhem Khalaf urges extending UNIFIL mandate to prevent vacuum in southern Lebanon
8
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Middle East News
08:08
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal: Report
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use
cookies
to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More