Lebanon "sounds the alarm" in Kuwait's donor's conference

Breaking Headlines
30-01-2013 | 09:00
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Lebanon "sounds the alarm" in Kuwait's donor's conference
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
Lebanon "sounds the alarm" in Kuwait's donor's conference

Lebanese President Michel Sleiman insisted on Wednesday during the donor's conference on keeping the borders open for all refugees despite the fact that the influx of refugees will increase, calling for a speedy solution to this file.        

Sleiman added that the government has approved a $370 Million comprehensive plan for the refugees whereby $180 Million are for the Lebanese state institutions and $190 Million are for the international agencies.                                                        

In this context, Sleiman expressed hope that the government’s plan would be approved during the donors' conference.                             

"The solution to the refugees' file is a humanitarian and moral duty," Sleiman said.                      

For his part, Kuwait's emir pledged to give $300 million to help fund humanitarian efforts for millions of Syrians affected by nearly two years of conflict.                        

Announcing the funding at the aid donor conference, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah added that "horrifying reports" of violence had raised questions over the future of Syria and aid efforts had to be redoubled.                             

Meanwhile, the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon appealed to all combatants in Syria's civil war to stop fighting "in the name of humanity".                       

Ban said: "I appeal to all sides and particularly the Syrian government, to stop the killing ... in the name of humanity, stop the killing, stop the violence."                                      

This as the United Arab Emirates (UAE) pledged to provide $300 million to help Syrian refugees made homeless by nearly two years of conflict, the official WAM news agency reported.                                    

For his part, Kuwait Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan said since the start of the Syria crisis the UAE had been committed to providing relief for Syrian refugees in neighboring countries, the agency reported.                     

In this context, Saudi Arabia pledged to provide $300 million to help fund humanitarian efforts for Syrians affected by nearly two years of conflict, al-Jazeera Mubasher television reported.              

The channel said the announcement was made by the kingdom's Finance Minister Ibrahim Alassaf.               

Earlier, Lebanese President Michel Sleiman arrived to Kuwait to head a ministerial delegation that will be taking part in the UN-sponsored global donors conference aimed at aiding the Syrian people.                                         

In this context, President Sleiman held a meeting with the Emir of Kuwait Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, King Abdullah II of Jordan and the Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki.                                     

During the meeting, the officials tackled the file of the Syrian refugees who fled to neighboring countries.                                                              

Prior to the quartet meeting, President Sleiman held private talks with the Emir of Kuwait at the Bayan Palace and discussed with him preparation for the conference of donors to support the humanitarian situation in Syria, and exchanged views on how to help the Syrian refugees.                                                 

Wednesday's conference  pledged more than $1 billion of aid for Syria's neighbors, who are sheltering 700,000 registered refugees, and another $500 million to bankroll humanitarian work for 4 million Syrians inside their country.             

Lebanon has seen the biggest influx of refugees from the Syrian bloodshed.                           


REUTERS/LBCI

For the full report, please click on the video above

Breaking Headlines

"sounds

alarm"

Kuwait's

donor's

conference

LBCI Next
A patient at Notre Dame De Liban Hospital - Jounieh urgently needs A+ blood type, to donate please call: 70 281 616
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More