Maj. Gen. Ibrahim says case of abducted soldiers finalized, pending swap deal

Lebanon News
05-08-2015 | 09:54
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
Maj. Gen. Ibrahim says case of abducted soldiers finalized, pending swap deal
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
2min
Maj. Gen. Ibrahim says case of abducted soldiers finalized, pending swap deal
The Director General of General Security Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim stressed Wednesday that an advanced stage has been reached in the negotiations with al-Nusra Front regarding the hostage exchange deal, including the time and place, as well as other technical issues pertaining to the release of the abducted soldiers in Arsal.
 
“The negotiations have been finalized, we only need some clarifications so we can implement the swap deal,” he added.
 
In an interview with the “General Security Magazine,” he stated that the Lebanese people can, at any time, elect a new president, regretting the failure of the political class in this regard.
 
The military men were taken hostage in August 2014 when militants from Syria took over the Lebanese border town of Arsal for five days before withdrawing toward the Syrian frontier, taking with them Lebanese soldiers and policemen as hostages.
 
The clashes were the most dangerous spillover of violence from the civil war in neighboring Syria.
 
While the release of five men provided a degree of relief, concerns remain about the troops and policemen still in captivity, as several were executed by the terrorist groups to exert pressure on the Lebanese authorities to meet their demands.
 
The abductors are demanding the release of Islamist detainees in Lebanese prisons in exchange for the release of the hostages.
 
Negotiations have been ongoing, with the help of a mediator in order to reach common terms to release the hostages, but no results have been reached so far.

Lebanon News

Ibrahim

abducted

soldiers

finalized,

pending

LBCI Next
Lebanon’s State Security hails troops’ efforts in new year security plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More