HIC calls on Sleiman, Mikati to take necessary measures as cautious calm prevails in Tripoli

Lebanon News
25-05-2013 | 02:58
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
HIC calls on Sleiman, Mikati to take necessary measures as cautious calm prevails in Tripoli
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
3min
HIC calls on Sleiman, Mikati to take necessary measures as cautious calm prevails in Tripoli

The Higher Islamic Council held a meeting on Saturday presided by the Vice President of the Council Omar al-Meskawi at the Makarim Al-Akhlaq association to tackle the security situation in Tripoli.

Following the meeting, The Higher Islamic Council said that the ongoing clashes in Tripoli are "a serious situation", calling on the security apparatus to deploy to restore calm in the city.

The participants in the meeting hailed the social, civil and political efforts exerted in order "to make Tripoli arms free."

The Higher Islamic Council called on President Michel Sleiman and Caretaker Prime Minister Najib MiKati to adopt necessary measures to put an end to the ongoing bloodshed in Tripoli.

On another note, the Council considered that the latest developments in Dar al-Fatwa in Sidon aim at dividing the Muslims in Lebanon.

Meanwhile, wary calm prevailed in Tripoli with sporadic gunfire and mortar shells.

However, sniping operations are ongoing and targeted civilians and several houses on Tripoli's international road.

On another note, the Internal Security Forces followed a car carrying armed men who fired in the air in Tripoli.

As well, schools, universities and shops remained closed.

This as the death toll in Tripoli's latest round of clashes reached 25 by Saturday after violence rocked the city, while 125 others were reported wounded.

Meanwhile, sources told LBCI that Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati is holding another round of contacts with leaders of axes who were reportedly convinced in the ceasefire with the deployment of the Lebanese Armed Forces in the city.

In this context, a meeting is underway at Caretaker PM Mikati's residence in Tripoli with Tripoli's MPs, dignitaries and leaders of axes.

This comes as the three gunmen killed during yesterday's shooting exchanges in al-Mankoubin region, were laid to rest in Baddawi cemetery.

Shooting into the air during the funeral of the three soon turned into sniping which reportedly targeted new areas thought to be earlier much safer.

Earlier, the clashes in Tripoli’s Bab el-Tebbaneh, Jabal Mohsen, Al-Bakkar, Al-Mallouleh and Al-Shaarani continued on Friday overnight and intensified on Saturday morning.             

In this regard, clashes led to the death of a citizen from the Al-Donnawi family as he was passing by the Mankoubin region.               

The battles are taking place between pro-Syrian regime supporters in the predominantly Alawite neighborhood of Jabal Mohsen and pro-revolution fighters in the Sunni Bab al-Tabbaneh.                              
Clashes between the two areas stretch back to decades, but the recent round of fighting was the heaviest.         
Political negotiations have so far failed to quench the violence.

Lebanon News

calls

Sleiman,

Mikati

necessary

measures

cautious

prevails

Tripoli

LBCI Next
Lebanon’s State Security hails troops’ efforts in new year security plan
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More