REPORT: LAF deploy in Sidon in anticipation of sit-in of Sheikh al-Assir supporters

News Bulletin Reports
23-08-2013 | 06:33
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
REPORT: LAF deploy in Sidon in anticipation of sit-in of Sheikh al-Assir supporters
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
13min
REPORT: LAF deploy in Sidon in anticipation of sit-in of Sheikh al-Assir supporters

A unit of the Lebanese Armed Forces deployed on Friday in the Mikssar-Abed region near the Hariri mosque in Sidon, in anticipation of the possible mobilization of supporters of Sheikh Ahmad al Assir.

The sit-in in support of the fugitive Imam of the Bilal bin Rabah mosque Sheikh Ahmed al-Asir kicked off after Friday prayers, despite a decision taken by the security council of the South on Wednesday to thwart such demonstrations outside Sidon's Bilal bin Rabah Mosque.

Contacts intensified on Thursday to impede the rally, but one of the clerics at the mosque asserted that the demonstration will be held.

On Sunday 23th of June, fighting in Sidon city began after Lebanese Armed Forces troops arrested a follower of hardline Sunni cleric Sheikh Ahmad al-Assir.

The army says the cleric's supporters opened fire without provocation on an army checkpoint.

Official reports said at least 17 soldiers were killed and 50 were wounded in the fighting while more than 20 of al-Assir's supporters died in the battle, according to a security official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to talk to reporters.

Al-Assir is a virulent critic of the powerful Shiite group Hezbollah group, which along with its allies dominates Lebanon's government.

He supports rebels fighting to oust Syria's President Bashar Assad.

The 2 day fighting between troops and armed supporters of al-Assir have transformed the city, which had been largely spared the violence plaguing border areas near Syria, into a combat zone.

Al-Assir escaped the scene of the clashes and remains in hiding up to this day. He has since released a number of voice recordings indicating his well-being and determination for revenge from what he views as the infidel forces of the Lebanese government and Hezbollah.

 

For the full report, please click on the VIDEO above

News Bulletin Reports

deploy

Sidon

anticipation

sit-in

Sheikh

al-Assir

supporters

LBCI Next
2025 in Lebanon: LBCI reflects on a year of challenges, coverage, and coexistence
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More