The head of the “Arab Tawhid” party former Minister Wiam Wahhab stressed Friday that maintaining facts hidden to defend political and personal interests is an unacceptable notion, expressing his rejection to any attempt aiming at underestimating the Lebanese people‘s minds concerning the waste management crisis.
In a statement to LBCI’s Nharkom Said, Wahhab said that the current waste crisis was triggered by an internal conflict between companies affiliated with the Future Movement, pointing out that the head of the Future bloc Fouad Siniora summoned the companies’ contractors and prevented them from participating in the tenders pertaining to this matter.
Lebanon has been grappling with a waste crisis following the July 17 closure of the Naameh landfill. The cabinet pledged last year that the said landfill would be shut down and an alternative site would be found, however failed to live up to its promises. The piles of garbage rotting in the summer heat triggered nationwide outrage and serious health warnings. To get rid of waste, frustrated residents set fire to dumpsters and trash containers, further polluting the hot and humid air. The mess is a stark reminder of the cabinet crisis afflicting Lebanon, where politicians divided by local and regional crises have even failed to agree on where to dump the capital city's rubbish.