REPORT: Preliminary investigations into Achrafieh blast reveal Hassan was stalked

News Bulletin Reports
20-10-2012 | 14:50
High views
Share
LBCI
Share
LBCI
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
REPORT: Preliminary investigations into Achrafieh blast reveal Hassan was stalked
Whatsapp
facebook
Twitter
Messenger
telegram
telegram
print
13min
REPORT: Preliminary investigations into Achrafieh blast reveal Hassan was stalked

The ISF’s Information Division intensified its investigations into the deadly explosion that ripped through the crowded neighborhood of Achrafieh under the supervision of Attorney General Judge Hatem Madi.     

In details, exclusive sources told LBCI that the criminal had been stalking Major General Wissam Hassan ever since his plane coming from Paris landed in Beirut on Thursday evening. The martyr reportedly rode into a rented Nissan car and headed from Rafik Hariri International Airport to the ISF’s General Directorate where he spent the night. On Friday afternoon, he headed to the apartment he rented in Ashrafieh in the same car. 

The sources reported that while Hassan passed by the Ibrahim Mouzer Street, and when his car went near a Honda CRV, a violent explosion resounded, killing him and his bodyguard.  

According to preliminary information, the booby-trapped car was laden with 50 kg of explosives distributed between two devices which blew up simultaneously by remote control.     

The car was destroyed completely, leaving only the gear which was later found by the security forces.      

Security sources revealed that Hassan had received threats days before his assassination, warning him that he was among the top figures targeted by assassinations, mainly following the discovery of former Minister Michel Samaha’s explosion plot.    

Well-informed sources told LBCI that instructions were given to intensify investigations into the assassination of Hassan, adding that some details began to surface. They stressed that all the telecommunication data in this case will be handed over to the Information Division to facilitate investigations.         

In this regard, Attorney General Judge Hatem Madi said that investigations have been intensified, adding that the Information Division is conducting a survey to the crime scene to collect more evidence.


Ashraf Rifi to LBCI

In this regard, the director general of the Lebanese Internal Security Forces (ISF) Major General Ashraf Rifi told LBCI that that Lebanon lost a great man, confident that this loss will be compensated for.    

“Our loss is great but we will compensate for it; we will continue performing our duties whatever it takes”, he said.   

Rifi mentioned that following Samaha’s case, threats increased and additional precautions were taken, “but nothing is 100% guaranteed”.       

“The perpetrator of this crime is a professional”, he concluded.


For the full LBCI report, watch the video above

News Bulletin Reports

Preliminary

investigations

Achrafieh

blast

reveal

Hassan

stalked

LBCI Next
2025 in Lebanon: LBCI reflects on a year of challenges, coverage, and coexistence
Download now the LBCI mobile app
To see the latest news, the latest daily programs in Lebanon and the world
Google Play
App Store
We use
cookies
We use cookies to make
your experience on this
website better.
Accept
Learn More